Diatoms Everywhere Please Help

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone ive been struggling for about 2 weeks now with these brown spots in my tank got some snails to help control it but don't seem to be making a dent I'm running matrix in my canister filter and still have not seen no results can someone please please please help me I'm losing my mind I'm not using a Rodi unit at this time (trying to Safe for one) Please help me out heres a link to a video of it

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a new tank buddy this can happen. What are your po3 and po4 levels? Tds levels? That's a big clean up crew to keep alive. With 2 fish you do not need that large of a clean up crew. It better to look at why nutrients are high rather than add more live stock... more live stock needs to eat then poop adding more nutrients.

OP
OP
Hempknight

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I keep using tap until I can get a rodi unit or no I'm just having a time doing water changes and such because I don't want to add more silicates by using more tap water

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I keep using tap until I can get a rodi unit or no I'm just having a time doing water changes and such because I don't want to add more silicates by using more tap water
It's much better to buy distilled than using tap if you do not have a lfs that sells salt or fresh rodi.

OP
OP
Hempknight

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had my water tested serval times from my fish store they told me that my nitrates were high and that I needed to add matrix to my canister filter and just let it sit but its taking over my tank I lost 1 emerald crab already and don't want to lose more

OP
OP
Hempknight

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and is there anything I can use to control silicates so that don't happen in the long run

OP
OP
Hempknight

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's much better to buy distilled than using tap if you do not have a lfs that sells salt or fresh rodi.
should I also when doing a water change to suck up all that on the sand or just let it do what its gonna do

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at it from a different perspective. Stop looking for "things" to add to fix a problem. Look at what your doing that is creating the problem. Keeping a reef tank is about keeping pristine water. Ditch the canister filter as they are not great for saltwater systems. Your so nuch better off with a hob fuge like the CPR systems if you do not have room for a sump. I bet you do not have any test kits... your not using rodi or even distilled at the least. And your system is new, clean up the water and give your system time to mature.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I also when doing a water change to suck up all that on the sand or just let it do what its gonna do
I vacuum my sand helps keep nutrients lower. Don't confuse vacuuming with sucking it out of the tank. Good luck!

OP
OP
Hempknight

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so when I vaccum my sand it was 1 to 2 days and its back already I don't understand whats going on

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had my water tested serval times from my fish store they told me that my nitrates were high and that I needed to add matrix to my canister filter and just let it sit but its taking over my tank I lost 1 emerald crab already and don't want to lose more
You really should test your water yourself. Don't rely on your LFS for that, most will just use a test strip on it.

OP
OP
Hempknight

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay I will do testing on my own but the issue I'm having here is there anything I can do to keep it under control or just let it go all crazy

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone ive been struggling for about 2 weeks now with these brown spots in my tank got some snails to help control it but don't seem to be making a dent I'm running matrix in my canister filter and still have not seen no results can someone please please please help me I'm losing my mind I'm not using a Rodi unit at this time (trying to Safe for one) Please help me out heres a link to a video of it

How long do you run your lights? What type of lighting do you have.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're trying to find solutions to something that isn't even a problem. There's honestly no need to chase this it's very VERY normal. The more you pick at it, the longer it seems to hang around.

This was the progression of one of my tanks....

My tank when it was nice and clean.

front.jpg

Then...

diatoms2.jpg

diatoms3.jpg

diatoms700-1.jpg

Then, as more time went on....

somestuff700.jpg

Ahhhhhhh..........

tank900.jpg

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Hempknight

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and if I have to wait it out it wont kill any of my fish or anything right as
You're trying to find solutions to something that isn't even a problem. There's honestly no need to chase this it's very VERY normal. The more you pick at it, the longer it seems to hang around.

This was the progression of one of my tanks....

My tank when it was nice and clean.

front.jpg

Then...

diatoms2.jpg

diatoms3.jpg

diatoms700-1.jpg

Then, as more time went on....

somestuff700.jpg

Ahhhhhhh..........

tank900.jpg
thank you very much do I have to worry about it killing my fish or anything

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back