OP
OP
Hempknight

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting seems good. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. If it persists for a few weeks then maybe address it. How many hermit crabs do you have? Other CUC?
I have 4 hermit crabs 1 sandy crab 1 emerald crab 2 snails and 2 clown fish

OP
OP
Hempknight

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting seems good. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. If it persists for a few weeks then maybe address it. How many hermit crabs do you have? Other CUC?
I have 4 hermit carbs 1 emerald crab 1 sandy crab and 2 snails

OP
OP
Hempknight

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms aren't a bad thing. There is zero chance it will kill your fish. It'll feed your pods and is very nutritious and will disappear from view when given time.
thank you so very much for your help guess its just time to sit it out and wait lol thanks for all of your advice

Angel730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda rushing into things....give your tank time to mature and let the beneficial bacteria to catch up with the current bioload you have in the tank. Diatoms is part of the tank cycle that all reefers went through. Worst comes to worst check your silicate levels with a test kit.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get 1 fighting conch. I call them the diatom destroyers. My tank looked like it was covered with rust. 1 week later completely buffed it clean. Protein skimmer helps get the excess out when it is fading off your live rock. It is new tank syndrome. Sooner or later it will go away like others have stated.
Here is mine now going around the glass searching for them. The two long stems are its eyes. The black feeding trunk is in front of the left eye scraping away at the glass.

IMG_20170322_161406.jpg

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the tank alone. Don't try to get rid of them. They will go in time. You're tank is new and this is normal in a new tank.

okay I will do testing on my own but the issue I'm having here is there anything I can do to keep it under control or just let it go all crazy
Best advice.

On water, some tap waters are ok, some distilled water is ok, RO watter is better, RODI is best. Its difficult for us to test everything in the water so most go with RODI for the assurance there are zero contaminant.

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're trying to find solutions to something that isn't even a problem. There's honestly no need to chase this it's very VERY normal. The more you pick at it, the longer it seems to hang around.

This was the progression of one of my tanks....

My tank when it was nice and clean.

front.jpg

Then...

diatoms2.jpg

diatoms3.jpg

diatoms700-1.jpg

Then, as more time went on....

somestuff700.jpg

Ahhhhhhh..........

tank900.jpg
that makes me feel much better. Im having the same issue as the OP.

OP
OP
Hempknight

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0323172003b.jpg 0323172003a.jpg just wanted to do a update picture today I think it got worst but still just hoping for the best :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back