Diatoms... how do I get rid of them?

TylerMoralez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had this tank for a few months now, and I can not seem to get rid of these stupid diatoms. I've cleaned every piece of equipment inside and out, I've scrapped the sides, I've gone without lighting for three days, and it won't go away. What can I do?

5fe11d0ab9d0dc78fe878c862d5739d8.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having the same issue. It would help to positively ID if it's diatoms or not.

If it were diatoms though, you need to just let it grow. Cleaning the tank does nothing as diatoms feed off silicates. If you keep cleaning the diatoms out, the silicates will remain as there is nothing to eat them.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank too full, too fast....was still stabilizing, but you already loaded it with nutrients. As long as the diatoms don't get worse, it should work itself out. I'd give it at least a month - just keep an eye on it.

jabell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of rock did you use? I used real reef rock and I am having the same issue. I have tried everything. It is not in the sand bed at all. Just the rock and glass. I think the real reef rock is leaching silicates.

OP
OP
TylerMoralez

TylerMoralez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of rock did you use? I used real reef rock and I am having the same issue. I have tried everything. It is not in the sand bed at all. Just the rock and glass. I think the real reef rock is leaching silicates.

I also used real reef rock from the Indian Ocean. I don't even have a sand bed!

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like cyano bacter or hair algae.

FWIW when you first start a tank there is lotsa stuff in it with silicates one. But unlike other things there is nothing to add silicates like food, fish and so on. So if you get a diatom bloom IMHO doing nothing will work.

For nutrient based things like cyano and algae it is best to balance out the tank so that ammonia/nitrate/phosphate/co2 sources are being consumed by things you like. I use macro algae which also returns oxygen and fish food. An algae turf scrubber is another option using algae grown on screens.

my .02

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let the diatoms grow. They will eventually disappear :) Don't scrape the glass either. It's gonna look rough. Just let it do it's thing. You can keep doing weekly water changes or whatever you were doing.

Mark Shelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to position the power heads down to provide move vertical water movement to keep both food and the diatoms more suspended where the skimmer can take them and waste out. I also have a hang on skimmer, but positioning the powerheads slightly down helped me the most. Besides, vertical movement helps keep the oxygen level up in the whole tank.

jje2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having the same issue. It would help to positively ID if it's diatoms or not.

If it were diatoms though, you need to just let it grow. Cleaning the tank does nothing as diatoms feed off silicates. If you keep cleaning the diatoms out, the silicates will remain as there is nothing to eat them.
What exactly feeds off the diatoms, essentially removing them from the tank? Is it fair to say the more green algae you begin to see on the rocks, the less of diatoms?

OP
OP
TylerMoralez

TylerMoralez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to position the power heads down to provide move vertical water movement to keep both food and the diatoms more suspended where the skimmer can take them and waste out. I also have a hang on skimmer, but positioning the powerheads slightly down helped me the most. Besides, vertical movement helps keep the oxygen level up in the whole tank.

Awesome! That makes a lot of sense, thank you :)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly feeds off the diatoms, essentially removing them from the tank? Is it fair to say the more green algae you begin to see on the rocks, the less of diatoms?
Snails feed on diatoms. Some dwarf angels, as well. When the diatoms die off, they will release from where they were and then get filtered out via mechanical or skimmer filtration. Also, you'll notice when they start dying and can then begin cleaning glass and turkey basting off rocks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back