Diatoms in a 75 gallon reef

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’ve just switched from a 55 gallon that had diatom algae and then I switched to a drilled 75 gallon. Well after about three weeks the algae has absolutely taken over the aquarium!!!!!! And I have no idea how to stop it.
Parameters are
Phosphate.8
Nitrate 10
Alkalinity 9.2
Calcium 425
Magnesium 1,600
Ph 8.3
Temp 78
Salinity 1.025
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
as you can see it’s affecting my coral as well. And I run carbon and I have no UV sterilizer.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are pretty typical when you start up a new tank. Part of the "uglies". They usually go in/out pretty fast. Silicates in the water can make it harder to get rid of them.
The pics are a little hard to see, but I just want to make sure that we're looking at diatoms and not dinos.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are pretty typical when you start up a new tank. Part of the "uglies". They usually go in/out pretty fast. Silicates in the water can make it harder to get rid of them.
The pics are a little hard to see, but I just want to make sure that we're looking at diatoms and not dinos.
FEC71234-2A5F-44E5-BF25-C632D0C5D784.jpeg
0561630F-0660-451A-876C-31D06F5581AB.jpeg
1B3D8B84-FA41-499C-96E0-22E0A57FF36E.jpeg
A9EED7DF-C963-4E8D-8DFA-7C299A1D07E2.jpeg
C8D0B6E5-058D-4CDA-B14B-78ACC3BC0AE7.jpeg

It could be dinos but I was just assuming diatoms. It would be common in a new tank but I had them in my 55 that was 2 years old and then when I moved to a 75 a month ago they exploded!!!!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, they do look like diatoms, especially on the sand.
When you moved to the new tank, you likely had a mini-cycle, followed by the diatoms. If you had them in an established tank, I'd look at your water to see what the silicates are. Also make sure you test your RODI water for silicates.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change your rodi filters.
Run carbon. Chemi pure elite.
I wouldn't want that ceramic pot either in my tank.
Lastly. Run your lights. Let your tank have 4-6 hrs of some light and let the diatoms go and do there thing.

When this is all done and settled. You can be back to coral. Flow is good too.
D

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the first sight of diatoms I decided to buy some copepods and drop them in, after a week of diatom growth, the diatoms are starting to fade away. And I started with all dry rock.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change your rodi filters.
Run carbon. Chemi pure elite.
I wouldn't want that ceramic pot either in my tank.
Lastly. Run your lights. Let your tank have 4-6 hrs of some light and let the diatoms go and do there thing.

When this is all done and settled. You can be back to coral. Flow is good too.
D
I’ve already replaced the rodi filters that’s not it. The ceramic pot has been in saltwater for about two 4 years with no problems it’s for my clownfish. What do you mean about run my lights? I have them on for 8 hours a day and I already have coral I can’t get rid of so that’s not an option. I have very high flow and I run chemi clean and carbon 24/7.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the first sight of diatoms I decided to buy some copepods and drop them in, after a week of diatom growth, the diatoms are starting to fade away. And I started with all dry rock.
You see I’ve added copopods and they all end up in my sump lol

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, they do look like diatoms, especially on the sand.
When you moved to the new tank, you likely had a mini-cycle, followed by the diatoms. If you had them in an established tank, I'd look at your water to see what the silicates are. Also make sure you test your RODI water for silicates.
Should I try maybe dosing with vodka I’ve never done it before but I heard it helps? Also should I try some turbo start would that help speed things up granted that tank is already cycled but still?

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned all my pumps / wavemakers off, and dumped the copepods in during the middle of the night with all lights off. Waited about 30 to 45 minutes before turning the pumps back on. Should give them enough time to find the rock / sand to take cover.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was giving my advice. Take it or leave it. Read over it again.
I don't think your tank looks bad or like it has bad diatoms.
I'd prob just blow it up with a turkey baster and try and keep.my.rock clean and free.
D

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was giving my advice. Take it or leave it. Read over it again.
I don't think your tank looks bad or like it has bad diatoms.
I'd prob just blow it up with a turkey baster and try and keep.my.rock clean and free.
D
I’m no upset? I was just saying a lot of those things I already do or it’s something I can’t do. I appreciate all the advice I get including yours. I’ve sadly tried the turkey baster it gets it off the sand but it’s like stuck on the rocks.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O if it's stuck to the rocks it could by cyano.
Usually diatom is like a light dusting of rust and is easily blown away but returns when the lights come on and goes away with the lights off.

Kk. Just worried u were being offended and getting upset. Didn't want that.
D

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O if it's stuck to the rocks it could by cyano.
Usually diatom is like a light dusting of rust and is easily blown away but returns when the lights come on and goes away with the lights off.

Kk. Just worried u were being offended and getting upset. Didn't want that.
D
Ya I’m not a offended type person lol if I don’t like something I take it like a man and I don’t care lol. You see that’s just it I’ve tried chemi clean solution three times and it hasn’t gone away and supposedly it’s supposed to “clear all cyano” so I’m not sure and when the lights are off it’s still everywhere in the sand, glass, rocks.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I’m not a offended type person lol if I don’t like something I take it like a man and I don’t care lol. You see that’s just it I’ve tried chemi clean solution three times and it hasn’t gone away and supposedly it’s supposed to “clear all cyano” so I’m not sure and when the lights are off it’s still everywhere in the sand, glass, rocks.
Whelp, you may have just hit the nail on the head.
You did Chemiclean 3 times???? That stuff is an antibiotic (erythromycin). You may have completely wiped the bacteria in your tank.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp, you may have just hit the nail on the head.
You did Chemiclean 3 times???? That stuff is an antibiotic (erythromycin). You may have completely wiped the bacteria in your tank.
So what do I do? Should I dose some turbo start? I’ve been using microbacter7 as well. Also just started dosing vodka to see if that helps.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back