Diatoms?

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having issues with these recurring. 2nd time this has happened, but doesn't seem this one is going away.. Are these diatoms?

image0 (2).jpeg

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went through 2 phases as well. How old is the tank?
I got blue legged hermits and Trochus snails and they've decimated the diatoms.

Well, this tank was originally an IM 10 in my office, and moved to an IM 25 at my home about 8-10 weeks ago.

Half the rock is new rock, half the substrate as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Siphon lightly and add some cleaners. Snails:

nassarius
nerite
Trochus
cerith
Boue leg hermits

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some Astrea, nassarius snails and some hermits, I live in Alaska, hard to find these things sometimes.

What would you suggest?

Out of all the snails I tried nothing came close to the Trochus. I call them Reef Roomba's. They clean 24/7 and made the rocks look almost like when they were new. Here's a good example of what they do. This rock was completely covered and one Trochus snail had a little snack:
IMG_1803.jpeg

CrazyCarlitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For diatom, trochus snail and dwarf cerith snails from reef learners.org works great and fast.

the trochus will consume the diatom on rocks and the dwarf Cerith will clean up the diatom on ur sand.

good luck

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For diatom, trochus snail and dwarf cerith snails from reef learners.org works great and fast.

the trochus will consume the diatom on rocks and the dwarf Cerith will clean up the diatom on ur sand.

good luck

My blue legged hermits take care of the diatoms on the sand. They were the first of the clean up crew that went in because the sand broke out in diatoms first. There's still some Cerith snails in there I see from time to time. Picking up a fighting conch or two tomorrow to round out the crew.

One thing to note... I have 7 Trochus in my 60 cube. I don't think I would add any more because they'd probably starve. For a 25 gallon I'd probably only add 3 or 4 to start and see how they do.

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My blue legged hermits take care of the diatoms on the sand. They were the first of the clean up crew that went in because the sand broke out in diatoms first. There's still some Cerith snails in there I see from time to time. Picking up a fighting conch or two tomorrow to round out the crew.

One thing to note... I have 7 Trochus in my 60 cube. I don't think I would add any more because they'd probably starve. For a 25 gallon I'd probably only add 3 or 4 to start and see how they do.

Unfortunately, couldn't find any here. I'm going to have to have some shipped to me.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back