Did I crack my tank??

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp, I dropped a rather large piece of rock when trying to lift it into my empty tank. The tank is a Water Box 20. The only thing that was between the glass and falling rock was a piece of cardboard. I as trying to see how my aquascape looked in the empty tank before the fill.

I am uploading a photo though it is very hard to see. You can see the "crack next to the white splotch" and running up and slightly to the right.

What my options here? Even if it passes a leak test wouldn't the integrity of the tank be iffy going forward? Would I be safer just purchasing a new tank? Certainly a bummer but I wouldn't want to risk a leak out in the future. Thanks for your help and if there's any more information I can provide let me know.

image0 (2).jpeg

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp, I dropped a rather large piece of rock when trying to lift it into my empty tank. The tank is a Water Box 20. The only thing that was between the glass and falling rock was a piece of cardboard. I as trying to see how my aquascape looked in the empty tank before the fill.

I am uploading a photo though it is very hard to see. You can see the "crack next to the white splotch" and running up and slightly to the right.

What my options here? Even if it passes a leak test wouldn't the integrity of the tank be iffy going forward? Would I be safer just purchasing a new tank? Certainly a bummer but I wouldn't want to risk a leak out in the future. Thanks for your help and if there's any more information I can provide let me know.

image0 (2).jpeg
If it was cracked you’d know very quick.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s cracked .
it may pass a
Leak test without rocks in it . But when full of water with all rocks in , I wouldn’t trust it .
being the bottom , you could find a piece of glass to cover the bottom and silicone into place to reinforce it .
depending on the size of tank , it might be cheaper and a piece of mind starting over and replacing it

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to a glassier and get a 1/4" piece of glass to fit exactly in the bottom of that tank. Silicone it in. Go out to dinner and forget about it, it will be fine and cost about $10.00

OP
OP
C

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's 20g tank. Pick it up and take a pic from the bottom. Feel it with finger. You can tell if is cracked or just scratched
I am fairly certain the crack is not all the way through at the moment. The WB does have the self leveling mat beneath it so I am not able to tell either way. My concern is the progression of the crack going forward.

OP
OP
C

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to a glassier and get a 1/4" piece of glass to fit exactly in the bottom of that tank. Silicone it in. Go out to dinner and forget about it, it will be fine and cost about $10.00
Thank you I will do this!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20g??? just get a new one. That’s a tiny tank not even worth trying to fix since it’s so cheap.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) How much would it cost you if the tank leaked 12 months from now from that crack (damage to property, fish, corals, etc.)?

2) How much are you and any family members going to worry about the possible crack?

If the damage/replacement costs are high and/or you and family are going to worry about it, then you have your answer.

Back