Did I Damage My Schego Heater???

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I have (2) 300W Schego heaters in my tank. Both are hooked to a thermostat and were in my sump. A couple weeks ago I realised that the sump level had gone done and one of the heaters was halfway out of the water...and still on. The plastic clips holding it to the glass were melted almost to a blob. They had come detached from the glass and in the process the heater had rested up against the power cord (power cord insulation was also melted down to the interior wires). The power cord damage is far enough away from the titanium heating element that I can wrap the cord with electrical tape and continue to use the heater (while keeping the damaged part of the cord away from the water).

When I plug the heater into the thermostat however the GFCI circuit breaker flips. Am I correct to assume the heater is releasing electricity into the water??? Or could it just be that the power cord itself has a short in it from where the damage was. Of course, I'd rather be safe than sorry, but would like to save my Schego and not have to reorder another one.

Is the titanium strong enough to sustain the heat that would have happened when the water level dropped and it remained 'on' while mostly out of water? (for several hours)

I realise the safest solution is to just toss the heater and get a new one, but I'd at least like to salvage this one for a QT when needed.

Maybe I'm answering my own question, but my plan is to repair the damaged power cord (or at least replace the section in question) and see if it still releases current into water. If not, then I would assume that the titanium element is not compromised. Correct?

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I realise now that I should have mounted the heaters in a section of the sump in which the water level does not rise or fall with evaporation. That was the real error here!

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - I communicated with Schego about this and they tell me they have updated their design as there have been other similar cases recently. This problem should not occur in the future - per their representative's email to me today.

charlesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw it out. You don't mess with electricity and water, it can kill you.

Back