Did I do this right?

  • Thread starter Thread starter paraletho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

paraletho

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2011
Messages
468
Reaction score
408
Location
Sabine Pass Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upped Randy’s DIY Salinity standard for hydrometers to 1000 ml by using 38.3 grams of Morton salt.
 
I upped Randy’s DIY Salinity standard for hydrometers to 1000 ml by using 38.3 grams of Morton salt.

To produce a 3.714 weight percent sodium chloride solution, dissolve 1 teaspoon (6.20 grams) of Morton's Iodized Salt in 161 mL (161 g) of fresh water (making a total volume of about 163 mL after dissolution of the salt). This solution can be scaled up as desired.

1000 / 161 = 6.211118 times 6.20 grams = 38.5 grams to 1000 ml of RODI.
 
The main reason I ask is my Hydrometer reads 020 and the cheaper swing arm 023

Floating glass hydrometers typically need a temperature correction. The swing arm won’t.

The 38.3 g (if accurate) is close enough. Don’t bother redoing it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new