Did I just kill my birds nest?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gman83
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gman83

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2022
Messages
4,830
Reaction score
18,959
Location
KC area
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had this piece between 2-3 weeks. Was starting to see growth on the tips. Polyps have always been out, and are still partially out.

I came home and noticed there was a piece of algea caught in its branches. For some reason, decided to use my baster to squirt it out instead of the tweezers. After a couple gentle squeezes, and nothing was accomplished, I squeezed very hard.

I got the algea, but also blew off a bunch of polyps. I could see little green flecks floating around for a bit. Now it looks awful (see pic), like it stn/rtn.

Of course, I dont have a picture from before i did it, but it didnt look like it was dying.

Did I kill it? Was it likely starting to rtn/stn, which is why the polyps came off so easy?
Or will it be fine and eventually grow back?

A couple branches still have full polyps, and seem fine; should I cut the ones i blew the polyps off to try to salvage?

Parameters:
Po4: .11
No3: 20
Salinity:1.025
Temp: 80.1

I didnt test calcium or magnesium this morning.

20250702_175724.jpg

17514969000415948465514867127052.jpg
 
These don't normal disintegrate from strong currents or basting.

The image almost looks like there are AEFW crawling all over it, but a white light image might help clarify that possible observation.

Something is wrong, Sorry.
 
These don't normal disintegrate from strong currents or basting.

The image almost looks like there are AEFW crawling all over it, but a white light image might help clarify that possible observation.

Something is wrong, Sorry.
I didnt think polyps would just come off.
 
Can you pull it and put it in a dish of tank water so you can a close up?
 
I just had the same thing happen to my birdsnest frag. I blow my frags off every few days and all the flesh just blew off of it.
I have no idea why. Other coral are fine.
Was your recently purchased, or did this happen a while back?
 
I got caught up, but here are the photos closer up, and out of flow.

this is the side that the original picture was taken of.
20250703_064954.jpg

Other sides.
20250703_064747.jpg
20250703_064935.jpg
20250703_065006.jpg
 
Just for an update, its about 99% gone. There are still two green polyps, but I'm not holding my breath. While not expensive, I actually liked it. I'm just glad that it wasn't something that was a lot of money.

In my original post I forgot to include my Alk, which was 8.9 on the day I posted. It was a little high from where I try to keep it (8.4), but it would have been a gradual increase. I figured as it grew, it would use it up.

The only other thing I can think of is we have had some sweltering temps outsode in the afternoon. While I have turned down my heater in the tank, it could be possible the tank is really heating up while I'm at work. I dont have wireless monitoring, so I cannot check temp while at work. I don't think this is the case because an ac vent blows up at the tank, and the tank is on a back wall away from windows and doors.

Not sure I'll ever know for sure, but maybe I'll try one again in the future.
 
Birdsnest are considered easy but I never was able to keep them until I kept other harder labeled acros. First I don’t see aefw and I’ve never witnessed them on Birdsnest or stylo type corals. Now Birdsnest and all coral do like to have sufficient nutrients. What are your nitrate and phosphate levels?
 
I’d also like to add high temps could for sure add to this. I keep my temps 75 in the tank during the summer and by end of the day then usually get closer to 78. For acros colder is better
 
Birdsnest are considered easy but I never was able to keep them until I kept other harder labeled acros. First I don’t see aefw and I’ve never witnessed them on Birdsnest or stylo type corals. Now Birdsnest and all coral do like to have sufficient nutrients. What are your nitrate and phosphate levels?
At the time I noticed the issue po4:.11, and No3 was 20. Alk was 8.9.

Today, i have the following:
Po4:0.11
No3:15
Alk:8.8
Ca: 460
SG: 1.025
Temp: 79.9

I did turn down my heater today one unit. I'm going to be home during the afternoon, I'll take some temp readings throughout the afternoon.
 
I’d also like to add high temps could for sure add to this. I keep my temps 75 in the tank during the summer and by end of the day then usually get closer to 78. For acros colder is better
Those temps are fine. I keep my tank 77-78 degrees.
 
Almost seems more like an infection of some sort. I did notice some possible discoloration in spots which could be flat worm but can't tell so won't say that is it all. If there is still quite a bit of flesh left you could dip the coral if you haven't Already.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.3%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new