Did I Just Ruin My New Tank . . .

Bolingsw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No leak test yet, I am confident it will hold water short term. The long term stability of that seal is what concerns me.

The tank is 65 gallons and, 1/2" glass.

Im so bummed I literally picked this up 4 days ago. I guess my next question is, if it is indeed unsuable in this state is worth anything to anyone? I am assuming its not very cost effecective to replace that front pannel.

- Ben
Here is one thing you can do. Cut the damaged panel loose and turn it over with the chip at the top. Reseal the tank and your all set.

OP
OP
BST96

BST96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am just not willing to take the risk I have to much to worry about being a renter and I travel quite a bit for work. Should this become an issue while I am halfway across the country my girlfriend and daughter wouldnt know what to do.

Bolingsw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one thing you can do. Cut the damaged panel loose and turn it over with the chip at the top. Reseal the tank and your all set.
Oh and 2 more thing, with the chip. Take some 200 grit sand paper and knock off the sharp edges on the chipped area.

OP
OP
BST96

BST96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this a rimless? Does it have an overflow for the sump? I paid $200 for a 65 marineland reef ready tank. It was rimmed. Just need to make sure the stand is exactly the same for measurements where the tank sits.

@PhilT yes this was a Rimless tank and yes it has an overflow. Not sure what you are asking about? If you're interested in the tank send me a PM.

OP
OP
BST96

BST96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and 2 more thing, with the chip. Take some 200 grit sand paper and knock off the sharp edges on the chipped area.

Now that is probably the best idea to salvage it at low cost. I personally and not comfortable doing that is all.

OP
OP
BST96

BST96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some more examination the stress crack does not appear to actually be a stress crack just a slight scract mark that is overly expressed in the photo. My biggest concern is the crack circled in this photo. It extends slightly above the bottom pane.

20190904_164116.jpg

Todd Jacobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the silicone is ok and there is no crack going through glass its ok I have used many chipped tanks in my shop fill it with JB weld that being said if ur not comfortable iusing it then its not worth the streas but possibly call tank manufacturer and they may help you by replacing panel for cheap Worth a phone call Sorry this happened

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would fill it up. if it is going to keep you up at night young, it’s better to just replace it. This hobby should be fun.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything I would try epoxy resin like windshield repair resin. Epoxy resin is very durable and water resistant. Super glue is not durable under wet conditions.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look to me like the chip is in an area where the silicone is bonding the panels, so IMO it's likely fine as long as the siliconed areas still have undamaged glass behind them. Best person to answer this though is the tank manufacturer, you should send them the photos and ask their opinion.
I totally agree with this. The chip really doesn't worry me at all. The only cracks that are deal breakers for me are the ones that travel perpendicular through the pane of glass and/or intersect silicone. I would find the chip and buy some windshield repair resin and fill it. If you go in layers, you wouldn't likely notice any difference.

From the picture, it doesn't look like there is a crack within the pane itself, just the corner. The pictures don't really show it very well, but if there more than just a chip on the corner, I would also see if epoxy from a windshield repair kit can be injected into the crack and completely fill it. Then, I would test fill and watch for any spreading.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah, that's gotta go. Buy a new tank; it will help you sleep at night.

Aneasytarget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some more examination the stress crack does not appear to actually be a stress crack just a slight scract mark that is overly expressed in the photo. My biggest concern is the crack circled in this photo. It extends slightly above the bottom pane.

20190904_164116.jpg
It’s glass, a crack/defect will eventually propagate through the panel without warning. Windshields are reinforced so they don’t shatter, a dodgy repair is not critical if windshield eventually cracks. Tank is also under constant stress, windshield is not. Don’t treat this like a windshield. Only repair option is to replace that panel. Why not buy the tank again since you have the stand?
Im a structural engineer, I’ve investigated glass balustrades that have cracked, some exploded. Cause was a chip where panels were drilled. This happened 12 years after construction. Gamble much?
Sell as “dry” tank and buy another “wet” tank.
Good Luck.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is funny that after 3 pages of advice no one suggested the obvious.:eek:

Acrylic tanks would not do what you just experienced and are about 6 to 10 times more impact resistant. So if you want real peace of mind go with Cell Cast Acrylic and sleep without worry for years...not days. In over 30 years building Acrylic tanks for the aquarium industry I only had one fail. Built hundreds and hundreds of tanks from 16 gallons to 1500 gallons. It is getting harder and harder to get quality Acrylic due to all the Chinese glass import tanks killing the market on the cheap side. More glass more leaks and you can take that to the bank. It is not a matter of if but when due to the settling or swelling of stands and the degradation of silicon over the years. By the way I fabricated many glass tanks as well and the experience is not as favorable as acrylic. My insurance company would not underwrite my buying out a glass tank manufacturer that was for sale years ago but would underwrite acrylic fabrication due to the limited exposure in failure with acrylic. That is why the big boys like public aquariums use acrylic for viewing panels or large construction tanks. ;Drowning

All these fiberboard and particleboard stands are contributing to the failures due to the settling and swelling of the stands as soon as they get a little water on them. So like one person posted after 4 days flood. Another said 3 days and leak. If you want to avoid this you have to start with products engineered to withstand water not absorb it.:confused:

By the way Aquamaxx has a 48" x 18" x 18" low iron glass tank for about $599.00 at Marine Depot.

Okay rant over. :cool:

I wish you well no matter what you choose to do. A call to the manufacturer would not hurt you and they might be able to make a repair....unless they are in China. :eek:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im sure lots of people have lots more experience with this than me - with eurobracing, replacing, etc etc etc. My short answer is - Buy a new tank = Sleep well at night. You might get 100 different opinions - its ok - its not it needs this or that. My opinion - If it were ok to design tanks and have them last with xx amount of glass dinged out of them - they would design them thinner overall.

BTW - IMO - all is not lost - lots of people who know what they are doing - buy these tanks and repair them - thats what I would to - try to sell it. I would not trust it in my house. Best of luck - and sorry - its just my opinion.

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last picture shows that both the side panel and the bottom panel are compromised. A 65 gallon tank holds a fair weight of water at a bit o ver 520 lbs. I showed your picture to a tank builder where I live, he stated that it could fail after a time as the weight of the water produces a constant load force against the glass. He doesn't recommend that you use it at all.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Before you circled it in RED, I thought that was just a reflection from the flash... You may not know what a cube is, but you can spot a crack! ;Hilarious ;Wacky

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back