20190904_090937.jpg
Windshield repair kit

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant imagine that a panel would blow out. If anything I could see a leak develop. Me personally I would get a 32oz container of Flex Seal or another liquid rubber and put a good layer to cover the entire bottom and call it a day. That's what I would do. If it don't work don't blame me though lol

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also might conciser renters insurance there really cheap just make sure they cover aquarium damage. not saying to should use it just saying it could come in handy.

I put a 240 in a rental above a basement apt. got renters insurance just encase. It was fine but it did help me sleep better knowing i have some coverage if the tank went though the floor..

OP
OP
BST96

BST96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lean towards the side of that whole pane needs replacement. If anyone who thinks it is repairable is in CA, please be my guest, hahaha. I have it posted in the trade forum. ;)

I suppose it would not hurt to at least check with a local Mfg. I mean I will be completely transparent here I paid $500 for the tank / stand / sump. So in my head the reapair couldnt cost me more than $200 to be worth it. Even then its questionable.

Ben

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...nobody here wants to set you up for failure, and it is risky to put too much into the tank. However, I'd hate to see you overblow the actual damage you did to the tank. A chip off the corner isn't gonna do anything. From what I can understand, it has more to do with the seal which you more than likely didn't touch.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last picture looks terrible, but that is not to say the integrity is shot. Where in your house will this tank be placed in? If it is an unfinished basement then I would role the dice with siliconing it. If the floor matters then I would just replace the tank.

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar cracks on my 15 and 55 gallon no problems yet but that’s not saying much : ) no money to replace so I just went with it. Adding silicone is a great idea though I’ll have to try that for more peace of mind

OP
OP
BST96

BST96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone else made more clear the chip appears to have created a stress fracture which is the bigger deal.

No basements here in CA, at least not many.

Not worth the risk for me but hopefully someone out there wants it it would really suck to just throw it away.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to tell someone else; especially a renter what to do given the risk...
If it were me I'd shoot some silicone up in that crack and fill it up somewhere the damage is minimized over dry newspaper ... again if it were me

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I get the decision to get rid of it. Maybe somebody with an unfinished basement can take it. It would probably still work for fish. But yeah you probably wouldn't feel good about it even if it did.

neupane00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would NOT use that tank. Even if water holds now it’s a problem waiting to happen IMO. When you add powerheads and pressure on wall. Lot easier to switch now than later when you have water / livestock on it

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to read everyone's post, think about it for a bit, then pull my head out of my..moon. pictures can distort things in many ways. Looking at all of the pictures you provided and considering the stress cracks...if the stress cracks stayed right there and didnt permeate into the innards of the tank, I would atleast take a towel or old blanket abs set the tank out side on a level surface and fill it with water to do a stress test. If it held up i would get some clear epoxy resin and glaze the edge not only to give it a teeny but of strength but also to keep anyone from getting a nicked finger. If it held the stress test then awesome you'll prob. Ever ever have an issue with it. If the tank was fairly inexpensive, just skip the advice section and buy yourself some peace of mind. Rimless tanks are so much more hardy than people think. If it was a serious problem, it would have shattered or spider webbed to say the least. At the end of the day we are all at home doing our own thing. You are right there and can see how true the damage really is. What you need to ask yourself is....can I let it go and not stress over it. If you cant..hands down replace it even if it dont leak. Good luck

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this a rimless? Does it have an overflow for the sump? I paid $200 for a 65 marineland reef ready tank. It was rimmed. Just need to make sure the stand is exactly the same for measurements where the tank sits.

Susanak6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a new 330 gallon tank and after four days of it being filled the entire back panel cracked and all the water cane out. It was terrible. We’re tjibking it may have been a small stress fracture that’s as not noticeable. With that being said, after the terrible experience, I would not risk it if I were you.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d give that tank to my ex and help her fill-it, way up!

I’m in Oceanside, lots of reptile keepers in California could use that tank safely.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @ Susanak6. I am in process of totally starting over after a tank leak. Had 300 gallon tank professionally installed, on engineered stand. It sprang leaks in 2 places without warning after almost 4 years. Luckily we were home so we used a water pump to kitchen sink. That helped but still very expensive.
Especially if you rent , that alone would make me not risk it. Not being alarmist here at all. It is not worth the money you would be “saving” trying to repair the tank. Sell it as reptile tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back