Did i kill my corals?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im doing a water change and the octos got out of the water… and i freaked out because they looked like tjat

Is that normal! Im filling the tank back up now

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im doing a water change and the octos got out of the water… and i freaked out because they looked like tjat

I’m curious what necessitated a 100% water change? How long were they out of the water? If it was less than 10-15 minutes and they were healthy I think you will be ok. If it was more or they were compromised it’s anyone’s guess.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious what necessitated a 100% water change? How long were they out of the water? If it was less than 10-15 minutes and they were healthy I think you will be ok. If it was more or they were compromised it’s anyone’s guess.
Thats not 100% water no where in my post i said thats a 100% water change. Thats 22% water change. They are on a frag rack a bit higher up.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell. If they were healthy before the water change, then they should be okay after the water change. There are so many variables that we don't know such as how long were they out of water, why did you do a large water change, what changed if anything in the water parameters, etc.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways to do a water change. I personally don’t like to lower the water level because it makes my house smell bad. You could add water as you remove it. This would keep your corals under water. Most corals can survive out of the water for brief periods of time.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hard to tell what's going on in that clip, or how much water was changed i thought it was 100% also, but I see exposed skeleton, if that wasn't like that before your waterchange, that's concerning....

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals can be out of water for a long while, but bubble-tentacle polyp corals droop when out of water and have the risk of tearing the polyps on the skeleton.

If it will be out of water for every water change then I would put it lower in the tank.

So how does it look with water filled back up? Hopefully it won't mind the brief fresh air, but let us know.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals can be out of water for a long while, but bubble-tentacle polyp corals droop when out of water and have the risk of tearing the polyps on the skeleton.

If it will be out of water for every water change then I would put it lower in the tank.

So how does it look with water filled back up? Hopefully it won't mind the brief fresh air, but let us know.
Actually idk why it looked like it bailed out like that and scared me its doing fine now.

I got those 2 octos 7 months ago from my lfs looked miserable took care of them and now they have insane flesh band and splitting like crazy. I would never do that again nect water changr

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torches and birdsnest are exposed during water changes. I take out my torches, frogspawn and hammers when I frag them with my dremel and diamond blade. Watch some fragging videos on YouTube, these corals are a lot less fragile than we think.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back