Did I let chaeto get into my display?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DarkSky
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DarkSky

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
863
Reaction score
1,055
Location
Minneapolis, MN
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to see a lot of strands of algae in my display ever since feeding a lot heavier. My nitrates were always undetectable (salifert), and my phosphates were a bit high (140-170ppb w/ Hanna ULR Phosphate checker).

I run a larger chaeto refugium, and when I started my tank the chaeto wasn't doing so well so it was turning white and breaking off into small chunks. It looks like a bit made it into the rocks and now is going crazy.

BGO9Ki9.jpg


NbD7ve9.jpg


If this is chaeto, what can I do beside manual removal? I'm pulling tons of it out when I can, but it's getting annoying. :)

I now have a few sponge filters between my refuge and return so it won't send more into the tank. I have one yellow tang in the tank, and three more tangs going through QT soon.
 
Does it have bubbles in it.

How old is your tank.
 
It's definintely plant based as the bent branch shows. What other fish in there?
 
Get a tang ;)
 
No bubbles, it's not dinos.

Tank has been running since July, rock was curing in salt water for over six months prior to that.

Mostly wrasses in the tank - like I said I have three more tangs going through QT but it'll be 30+ days before they're done in QT.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new