Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment:
13.5 gal Fluval Evo and all default accessories
10 lbs CaribSea Liferock (came dry)
5 lbs misc dry rock
20lbs CaribSea Arag Alive Fine Reef Sand

Here's what happened:
1. I put the tank together on a bookshelf, mixing my water, pouring it over the sand, adding the rocks
2. Hours later, I realize the shelf probably isn't strong enough so I siphon out almost all the water, leaving about an inch at the bottom covering the sand and put the rocks back in a box (all equipment turned off)
3. I work on building a new shelf which will hold the weight. It's finished about 2 weeks after I initially set up the tank. I didn't touch the water at all in this time.
4. I add fresh saltwater to the tank and the sand/water already there smells strongly of sulfur and makes the whole room stink
5. I add the rocks back and turn on all equipment and the smell quickly leaves after ~12 hours. I didn't do any testing because my testing kit was stolen from the mail. Visually the tank looks clear and fine.
6. A week later, yesterday, I get testing equipment and my levels are: NO3 (0-2), NH3 (0.0-0.15), NO2 (0), Phosphate (0.18). For the ranges the color was between 0 and the lowest trace.

I'm planning to test again in a week to see if everything is 0 or at least NO2 is up. Did I mess up the cycle? Where should I go from here?

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks, Mark! I added some bacteria and my tank is now fully cycled :)

Back