Did I waste my money on this Hanna HR Nitrate checker?

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the hanna and api test strips. I find both are fairly accurate. Although on accasion the API will have a few dudes in each package I get. The hanna nitrate checker is precise while the API is in the general ball park. That's all I use the API for. The rest of my tests a salifert mag, calcium and alk. But going to switch to hanna alk test since I switched salt to fritz pro un blue box.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Approx 2 months of carbon dosing the diy NOPox recipe and my nitrates are reading 19ppm. I would say NOPox is working at a slow pace I am currently on week 9 dosing 5.2 ml a day.
Red plating Monti looks 100 times better and very red

marinaaquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna HR is quite reliable
Hi, mine is reliable if the reagent works. Have two different lot numbers with a reading of 0.0. Used low range and got 14.3. The previous box of reagents worked great. Not sure what the issue is but this has happened now twice in about 4 months. The whole box reads 0.0.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, mine is reliable if the reagent works. Have two different lot numbers with a reading of 0.0. Used low range and got 14.3. The previous box of reagents worked great. Not sure what the issue is but this has happened now twice in about 4 months. The whole box reads 0.0.
Strange..

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna HR gives results comparable to Hanna LR. Nitrate tests are more likely to fail low because of problems with the zinc reduction, thats the shake like crazy for a minute or two step.

i also use the API nitrate test, but I modified the recipe to work in the Hanna Checker. It’s reliable too.

Someone sells a multiparameter reference standard. You might buy some and determine which test is off.
@Dan_P do the smart stirrers help with the ‘shake like crazy’ silliness?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back