Did my clam lose its foot?

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this clam a few weeks ago. It was already attached to a piece of rock when I got it. Everything seemed to be going well until I watched my sailfin tang rip it off the rock and toss it aside. I put the clam back on its perch, but ever since that incident, my melanarus wrasse keeps picking at the clam and knocking it over. It doesn't seem to be reattaching to it's rock again. Did it lose its foot when the tang pulled it off the rock?

Just as a side note, I checked it for pyramid snails and didn't see any. I scrubbed it with a toothbrush anyway just to be safe so I'm not sure what the wrasse is picking off the clam. The mantle appears to be intact.

20210713_185543.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Won’t necessarily lose foot but likely stressed.
try to lay it in a cradle(crater type pocket) a
Which should hold it upright.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, put it in a very secure place and make sure the fish do not pick on it. Maybe put a mesh around it for a bit. If continuously bothered, it will close up and could die. Good luck.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back