Derasa Clam closed and wont open

  • Thread starter Thread starter slythy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

slythy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2021
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
906
Location
USA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had this clam for a few years probably 5" or so it is always fully extended until 2 days ago. Yesterday I checked to see if it was dead but it closed tighter when I checked. I have a small maxima in the tank as well thats still fully open so I dont think its my fish bothering it. Only thing I did recently was add trace elements based on my ICP report.

Any ideas how long it can stay closed before it dies? It doesnt have a foot tied to the rock like my maximas, but it never has...

Thanks,
 
Pictures will help! Is it completely clammed shut? The clams natural position is to be open, it takes a lot of energy for a clam to shut. The longer it stays shut, the more energy it loses and not able to regain the energy since the mantle is not out. Does it have new shell growth? Again, please post some pics, thanks.
 
Pictures will help! Is it completely clammed shut? The clams natural position is to be open, it takes a lot of energy for a clam to shut. The longer it stays shut, the more energy it loses and not able to regain the energy since the mantle is not out. Does it have new shell growth? Again, please post some pics, thanks.

He’s normally fully extended and quite poofy but last day or 2 its been like this.

IMG_0762.jpeg
 
Based on that picture I don’t see any new growth on the shell. Have you ruled out pests? Pyramid snails? How long has the other clam (maxima?) been in there?
 
Based on that picture I don’t see any new growth on the shell. Have you ruled out pests? Pyramid snails? How long has the other clam (maxima?) been in there?

It died the other night. The fish/cleanup crew completely devoured it, its a clean shell.

I havent added anything really for a few months. Maxima was purchased same time. Still happy
 
Sorry to hear, but I'm not surprised. It looks like it was starving.

its got tons of light as well as it grew in the same spot from 2” to about 5-6. There is some phyto in there as well as it gets frozen food everyday.

A week ago it was wide open and fluffy so not sure why it all the sudden it shrunk and closed up. Maxima is still wide open
 
its got tons of light as well as it grew in the same spot from 2” to about 5-6. There is some phyto in there as well as it gets frozen food everyday.

A week ago it was wide open and fluffy so not sure why it all the sudden it shrunk and closed up. Maxima is still wide open
I’m sure the mantle seemed fine, but the shell tells a different story. If there’s no growth on the shell, then it’s just a matter of time. Make sure you check the maxima to see if it has shell growth.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new