Did my clams foot rip off?

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was researching into buying a clam I read that if you damage the clams foot it will die. Yesterday night my girlfriend said there was a snail on the clam and she had to knock him off..... that was red flag number one.

Fast forward to today I find a large fleshy bundle of fibers (the same ones that used to anchor the clam to the ground.) Now the clam is no longer attached to the fibers but the bundle of fibers is still connected to the bottom of my tank. Is this his foot? Will it die without it? I'm just confused because the clam is fully open and seems happy....

If his foot wasn't detached and separated from its body I wouldn't even be worried.

fdd50f7cc8d79aa3eb536ee93e885379.jpg
df97c1e5142881cdc8a5d20704bc1b7c.jpg
80c500493e0ab2d1d845fcc26fac52e3.jpg

BigCitySmallReef

Zoaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully not! I had flame scallops once that would leave a stringy filament behind that was just used to adhere to rocks and substrate. Hopefully that's all this is.

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the byssal and quite normal when clam wants to replace it. It will be fine.

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Released to move about.
Thanks, I was just paranoid and it was just a coincidence that my girlfriend hit a snail off it with a 3/4in PVC pipe and it decided it was going to go for a stroll haha

It moved Into a cove out of the flow a bit and has re anchored. Thanks for the responses everyone!

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why was your girlfriend knocking the snail off in the first place? Little unnecessary, the snail isn't going to harm the clam unless it's a pyramid snail, in which case removing them is the only cure. :p

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why was your girlfriend knocking the snail off in the first place? Little unnecessary, the snail isn't going to harm the clam unless it's a pyramid snail, in which case removing them is the only cure. :p
Oh believe me I told her haha. She is usually the last one interested in anything that has to do with the tank. I let her know that the snail was only cleaning its shell off and was nothing to panic about

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh believe me I told her haha. She is usually the last one interested in anything that has to do with the tank. I let her know that the snail was only cleaning its shell off and was nothing to panic about

Hey, anything you can do to get her interested will only help in the long run! The fact that she's somewhat paying attention is a good thing. I hope your clam finds a good spot and settles in for you. :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be on the lookout for it trying to move around and getting tipped over - you might need to stand it back up. This might be a sign that it is wanting more light... it is getting a bunch where it is?

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be on the lookout for it trying to move around and getting tipped over - you might need to stand it back up. This might be a sign that it is wanting more light... it is getting a bunch where it is?

Yeah it is getting a good amount of light, I think it was just trying to move out of the flow a little bit. Its original spot was right up against the glass and the flow was pretty strong through there. it has now moved about 4-5 inches back into a little cove that blocks some of the current. It is now reattached and happy as ever.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting to know. I would have freaked out.
Speaking of clams, How much light do clams need? 100, 200par,3oo maybe?
Generally speaking of course I'm sure one type likes more than another
Thanks

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Not sure on the exact par requirement, but my derasa is under an Ocean Revive T247 led and 2 T5's. They like higher light.
Derasas don't need as intense light as the maximas though from what ive been told.

Here is the new growth I got in the first 2 months!

1528076178076.jpg
20180603_174657.jpg

mikedgrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Well this just happened for me and I am freaking out. 3.5 years later. Thanks to all on this thread helping me to relax, not rush to do or touch anything, to let the clam do its thing, and to keep my fingers crossed !!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back