Did my fish have a disease?

DreamReef04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just wondering if my fish had a disease. He just died and I'm trying hard to learn from everything

20200211_185812.jpg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish have you had die on you in the last couple of months? I've seen your previous posts and your fish are dieing monthly. Your question above is very vague without giving us any info.

How long has the tank been set up? What type of salt are you using? Are you using RODI water? What are your tanks parameters? (SG, temp, Phosphate, Nitrate for starters) Does you tank have a sump? I'm suspecting a whole lot of issues here because as I mentioned you've had alot of fish die on you in a short time.

OP
OP
D

DreamReef04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my fish have been dying a lot. This last one was in my QT tank though. Never made it in my DT. My display tank water quality is as follows; ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 25, ph 8.1. I use rodi water do water changes every 2 weeks. My rodi water is testing 0 for tds. I have a 75 gallon tank. Temp stays at 78 F salinity stays at 1.025. I do not have a sump. I have a HOB filter set up for 120 gallons.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my fish have been dying a lot. This last one was in my QT tank though. Never made it in my DT. My display tank water quality is as follows; ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 25, ph 8.1. I use rodi water do water changes every 2 weeks. My rodi water is testing 0 for tds. I have a 75 gallon tank. Temp stays at 78 F salinity stays at 1.025. I do not have a sump. I have a HOB filter set up for 120 gallons.

Ok that's a start.How long has tank been set up? And w/HOB filters when was last time it was cleaned? Any pics of set-up? Just trying to help you navigate the issues.

OP
OP
D

DreamReef04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that's a start.How long has tank been set up? And w/HOB filters when was last time it was cleaned? Any pics of set-up? Just trying to help you navigate the issues.

My tank has been set up for 5 months. In my list post someone had said my dry rock are still very white for 5 months old. Which I guess they are. Their color has changed a little bit but not much. I change my filter monthly.

20200211_205134.jpg

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That little light isn't going to grow much in the way of coral, algae or coraline. That's why your tank looks so clean.

I question the use of volcanic rock. Light and porus, sure, but have you done any research on what they might release into the water? I'm not sure anyone's really checked that out.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm guessing this tank has been very slow to cycle (it happens) So before you add any fish, corals, etc try "ghost feeding" (feed it fish food, shrimp) the tank until you see the start of algae. That's the first signs of bacteria building up. Don't fret if you seen brown dinos, they will pass. Lets get a base started.

OP
OP
D

DreamReef04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow no I haven't. Someone actually gave me those when I bought the tank because he had a saltwater tank. I never even thought of that. What kind of light should I buy? I am not sure I want to install something to my ceiling just yet unless I have to.

OP
OP
D

DreamReef04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm guessing this tank has been very slow to cycle (it happens) So before you add any fish, corals, etc try "ghost feeding" (feed it fish food, shrimp) the tank until you see the start of algae. That's the first signs of bacteria building up. Don't fret if you seen brown dinos, they will pass. Lets get a base started.
I had diatoms about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Then they disappeared. The one fish that has been through it all is doing well from what I can tell. He is a pajama Cardinal. And my conch is going strong.

OP
OP
D

DreamReef04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And with my orchid dotty back. He was in the QT for 3 weeks. He was 7 days into Copper safe treatment which I checked daily with a hanna checker. I had just started general cure in the food on Sunday. Then Monday I noticed a white cloudy looking film on the body. I also observed the fish breathing heavy and laying upright on the bottom of the tank.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's natural lava rock, it could be ok. The fake stuff probably isn't. I'd still be worried about metals being released into the water.

For now though, follow Mical's lead. You seem to be lacking the needed biodiversity that comes along normally with a proper cycle. Over feeding your Cardinal for a few weeks should kick start things. Keep an eye on ammonia levels, your bacteria are probably not great.

OP
OP
D

DreamReef04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thank you. How often should I test and how will I know its safe to add fish?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And with my orchid dotty back. He was in the QT for 3 weeks. He was 7 days into Copper safe treatment which I checked daily with a hanna checker. I had just started general cure in the food on Sunday. Then Monday I noticed a white cloudy looking film on the body. I also observed the fish breathing heavy and laying upright on the bottom of the tank.

by this description of white cloudy film on the fish body, my guess is it was brooklynella. Copper does not treat it unfortunately, you would need to administer metro.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back