Did Seneye save my tank?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very curious to hear opinions, as I can't quite explain what happened.

1. 34gal AIO Mature 7+ year old mixed reef system
2. Coming off 72 day fallow
3. 9 anemones and mostly soft corals with occasional ghost feeding of pellets
4. During fallow added Jack-o-lantern, kung poa, Walt Disney, some zoas, and some shrooms.
4. Moved the tank about 6 feet so new build could get in place.
5. About 4 weeks after move started salt change from IO Reef to Neomarine as I'm transitioning to Triton. Only changing about 1 gal a day with AWC.
6. Parameters are Salinity 1.025, Alk 9-10, Calcium 430ish, Ph 8.1-8.2...
7. Added a Candy Basslet Sunday 10/25 and threw on my Seneye just because I wasn't using it on my QT or observation tank.
8. Woke up to a ammonia spike of .081.
9. Threw in Prime and Dr. Tims One and Only
10. Proceeded to then test ammonia with Red Sea and Seachem test kits. Red Sea showed 0 total ammonia. Seachem showed no free Ammonia and .05 total ammonia.
11. I searched the tank and found what maybe a dead turbo...shell is empty but stinks. I removed it.
12. Seneye continues to show rising ammonia...spiking from the snail removal up to .181
13. Red Sea and Seachem continue to show 0 ammonia.
14. Ammonia slowly coming down in tank
15. Basslet and corals showed no signs of stress

SmartSelect_20201026-200334_Edge.jpg

I suspect that the tank's bacteria were much depleted due to fallow.

I don't think the Basslet was the cause of the spike. Just a coincidence with a snail death. However, it does add to the ammonia.

I can't explain the different test kit discrepancies...which is most frustrating.

Was the Seneye glitching?

Could one snail cause this in a mature tank?

Did the Seneye save my tank with my Prime and Dr Tims rescue?

Could the spike be from the Basslet?

Other thoughts?

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the seneye is just impressively accurate and showed the actual ammonia spike of adding a fish combined with snail death. If you didnt have the seneye do you think you would have even tested for ammonia?

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure it did I have a seneye units as well love this thing I'm happy that it works for you and it works fast and accurately congratulations on The save

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very curious to hear opinions, as I can't quite explain what happened.

1. 34gal AIO Mature 7+ year old mixed reef system
2. Coming off 72 day fallow
3. 9 anemones and mostly soft corals with occasional ghost feeding of pellets
4. During fallow added Jack-o-lantern, kung poa, Walt Disney, some zoas, and some shrooms.
4. Moved the tank about 6 feet so new build could get in place.
5. About 4 weeks after move started salt change from IO Reef to Neomarine as I'm transitioning to Triton. Only changing about 1 gal a day with AWC.
6. Parameters are Salinity 1.025, Alk 9-10, Calcium 430ish, Ph 8.1-8.2...
7. Added a Candy Basslet Sunday 10/25 and threw on my Seneye just because I wasn't using it on my QT or observation tank.
8. Woke up to a ammonia spike of .081.
9. Threw in Prime and Dr. Tims One and Only
10. Proceeded to then test ammonia with Red Sea and Seachem test kits. Red Sea showed 0 total ammonia. Seachem showed no free Ammonia and .05 total ammonia.
11. I searched the tank and found what maybe a dead turbo...shell is empty but stinks. I removed it.
12. Seneye continues to show rising ammonia...spiking from the snail removal up to .181
13. Red Sea and Seachem continue to show 0 ammonia.
14. Ammonia slowly coming down in tank
15. Basslet and corals showed no signs of stress

SmartSelect_20201026-200334_Edge.jpg

I suspect that the tank's bacteria were much depleted due to fallow.

I don't think the Basslet was the cause of the spike. Just a coincidence with a snail death. However, it does add to the ammonia.

I can't explain the different test kit discrepancies...which is most frustrating.

Was the Seneye glitching?

Could one snail cause this in a mature tank?

Did the Seneye save my tank with my Prime and Dr Tims rescue?

Could the spike be from the Basslet?

Other thoughts?
To be honest you just saved me too as my seney has shown an increase in ammonia with the Spike as well added some Brightwell Aquatics microbacter bacteria totally spaced the prime which I'm adding now thank you very much for this post

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So funny story. I was chatting with @Dr Reef and he has used these Seneyes for awhile. He mentioned that the sudden spike and subsequent decline of ammonia combined with the other zero reading test kits might indicate some debris getting on the lense/slide. Even though the Seneye was cleaned and a new slide installed prior to use, I took it out and did a quick clean...sure enough zero ammonia. So it appears that this may have just been a glitch!

Back