Did we ever figure out what in Tech M Magnesium kills Bryopsis?

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as the title states. I am looking at treating Bryopsis in my tank. One of the many solutions listed was raising magnesium above 1600 to 1800. This honestly seems less drastic than Reef Flux.

I had started raising my mag, now only in the 1400 range and read more stories and forum post about this.

Many people are stating this only worked with Kent Tech M and that that only worked because of impurities in the product. Later people stating that Kent had cleaned up their product and this no longer worked at all. On the flip side some are stating that it still works regardless and that any mag works.

I couldn't really find a definitive answer.

I was wondering if the mystery ingredient was ever tracked down?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as the title states. I am looking at treating Bryopsis in my tank. One of the many solutions listed was raising magnesium above 1600 to 1800. This honestly seems less drastic than Reef Flux.

I had started raising my mag, now only in the 1400 range and read more stories and forum post about this.

Many people are stating this only worked with Kent Tech M and that that only worked because of impurities in the product. Later people stating that Kent had cleaned up their product and this no longer worked at all. On the flip side some are stating that it still works regardless and that any mag works.

Not that I am aware.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI I have read all the same as you and was skeptical myself. As a result reluctanty i tried the flucanzole and boy did it work fast and no other issues at all. matter of fact tried to find negatives posted on flux and did not find much if any at all. just giving my story

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What do you think is drastic about reef flux (fluconazole)? It is extremely safe. I’m sure there are a few people who have a loss after using It and have (probably without evidence) attributed it to reef flux, but the overwhelming evidence is that it is very safe and effective.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a double dose of fluc going for over three weeks. Nothing is unhappy in my tank except all the algae. The bryopsis was the first to go. Now the turf and bubble are going away. I hated putting an antibiotic in there but it's working. Vibrant was way harder on the tank.

I also heard that whatever worked in Tech M isn't in there anymore.

OP
OP
Yevoc

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think is drastic about reef flux (fluconazole)? It is extremely safe. I’m sure there are a few people who have a loss after using It and have (probably without evidence) attributed it to reef flux, but the overwhelming evidence is that it is very safe and effective.
I used Reef Flux before and it did nuke the Bryopsis but I am not a fan of pulling the skimmer off line for that long while the PO4 and Nitrogen cycle yo yo all over the place.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions on my bottle say to leave the skimmer off for three days.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a double dose of fluc going for over three weeks. Nothing is unhappy in my tank except all the algae. The bryopsis was the first to go. Now the turf and bubble are going away. I hated putting an antibiotic in there but it's working. Vibrant was way harder on the tank.

I also heard that whatever worked in Tech M isn't in there anymore.
Just fyi, fluconazole is an anti fungal, not an antibiotic

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be the guy who chimes in with bad experience. I lost 4 sps frags to fluconazole. Walt disney, bc lemon hammer, event horizon milleopora and fox flame did not survive.

My lobo and acans survived but were certainly not as fat and fluffy. Heartbreaker acro also survived. I have 3 others that I'm still waiting to either recover or die.

I tested kh/no3/po4 daily, and ran rowa phos to keep po4 down. I did not see any spikes.

This, as anything, is anecdotal. But I would not put in my tank again. At least unless it was A. A TERRIBLE outbreak and B. All of my sps were WELL acclimated and thriving.

I wouldn't hesitate in softie/LPS tank however.

OP
OP
Yevoc

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be the guy who chimes in with bad experience. I lost 4 sps frags to fluconazole. Walt disney, bc lemon hammer, event horizon milleopora and fox flame did not survive.

My lobo and acans survived but were certainly not as fat and fluffy. Heartbreaker acro also survived. I have 3 others that I'm still waiting to either recover or die.

I tested kh/no3/po4 daily, and ran rowa phos to keep po4 down. I did not see any spikes.

This, as anything, is anecdotal. But I would not put in my tank again. At least unless it was A. A TERRIBLE outbreak and B. All of my sps were WELL acclimated and thriving.

I've run Flux before and it didn't eliminate the Bryopsis so I was looking for options.

My case I didn't lose any coral to Flux but it killed tons of coraline. That felt like a real step back in fighting the nuisance algae.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting, I am a believer in every tank is different ( bacteria strains element loads balance etc). it seems every additive (Vibrant, chemo clean any antibiotic etc) is a risk. I have read about Same tank having different experience from different times with same additive. In end rolling dice on changing anything in out tanks that is why when I do add anything new slower the better. Anyhow. Good to know. Hope remaining recover.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm sure I read this whole thread claiming the magic ingredient was lithium. Has that been debunked, or is it just inconclusive, or was this just forgotten?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I read this whole thread claiming the magic ingredient was lithium. Has that been debunked, or is it just inconclusive, or was this just forgotten?

Hmm, this thread died out with no conclusion on if lithium worked or not. @JimWelsh Did your test work? Your last post was when you were about to start dosing into the test tank.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone report coral loss while using the Tech M? Supposedly Brightwell has the same formula relabeled. Curious to see if that would be a better alternative to use with an Acropora dominate system than dosing Fluconazole.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 27.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back