Did you see this? Thoughts?

mtc1966

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure maybe better stock will be available at Petco ??

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd imagine it's both. Though I suppose Petco could spin off LA/DD. Petco online already sources from Quality Marine, I believes, as does LA. Acquired business is always affected, but not in the interest of Petco to destroy the business. Suspect the refund policy will change at least. Best to wait and see though.

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better stock would be amazing. However I just checked outside and still no pigs flying! And there are some employees at Petco who really do care about the fish and do their best. My boss said the one near him she has a quarantine system for incoming livestock. I wish Petsmart would stock saltwater so it would feed competition. I'm just gonna open my own store, order what I want and be the only customer. Problem solved.

betelgeuse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of Petcos are starting to sell coral (there are a bunch that just installed frag tanks)... and there is definitely a bigger push toward marine animal sales in the stores and especially online... I still wouldn't buy stuff there (not in CT where there are tons of good LFS)... I pretty much assume that every fish in petco is swimming dead and the water is poison

KRAZE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the petcos in stratford and milford already sell nice corals. Very pricey though, the lights are terrible, and the systems aren't maintained well enough for anything beyond softies. Both stores now have frag tanks, however they aren't any better maintained. I know an employee VERY well, and has let me in on some detail... When the employees who actually know somewhat how to run a reef tank are not working, the tanks don't get maintained. They don't top off, if they do they top off with saltwater, no light timers so the lights get left on overnight (petcos hours make for a crazy long light cycle as it is when someone does know what to do), the skimmer wont work properly because of the variation in water height in the sump and salinity swings, and most shocking (according to my source) they are not allowed to dose, so dKH just keeps dropping untill he pulls stuff off the shelf. They need to have an employee that knows their stuff and demands that the tanks get taken care of properly, but the people who work at these places don't always care and its just a job to them. Only a matter of time before they realize its failing and either give up or bring in experts, which is what they might be trying to do with this merger.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just seen a thread written by live aquaria. They say that the owners are staying they just sold it. It's on rc

OP
OP
james30ct

james30ct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what dose this mean for LA?

This is what they posted

Greetings,
I would like to take a moment to respond and address some concerns posted in this thread.

Dr. Race Foster and Dr. Marty Smith have worked incredibly hard over the last 31 years, to build an incredibly successful business, which revolves around education, pet heath, and responsible pet ownership. The Petco mission is elevating the lives of animals and enhancing the connection people have with their pets, with a commitment to the highest standards of social responsibility, while continually striving to make things better for pets, people and the planet. Understanding each company’s mission and goals are very similar, we feel this partnership and synergy is going to be beneficial to animals, pet owners, and aquarium hobbyists and enthusiasts alike.

I can assure everyone, my personal mission as the LiveAquaria Director is to take LiveAquaria.com to an even higher level than ever before. The continued expansion of our Aquaculture Coral and Marine Life facility in Rhinelander Wisconsin, home of the LiveAquaria.com Divers Den®, allows us to offer an even greater assortment of quality aquatic life shipped direct to your door.

Rest assured, Dr. Race Foster and I are not going anywhere, and will continue to operate Drs. Foster and Smith pet supplies and LiveAquaria.com as it's business as usual. Both Race and I are incredibly excited for the future and what lies ahead.

Kindest Regards,
Kevin Kohen

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy dog food at petco and that's it. They don't care about their animals, period. Most of their staff is young and inexperienced and more than once have I heard them giving the wrong advice. Some people think they are saving an animal when they purchase them from petco but all the company sees is that one unit has moved and they need to order another to replace it. I hope DFS and LA stay the same but I'd bet that over time you'll see them change and not for the better. New corporation, new policies. It really is too bad.

chriskid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my brother happens to work four hours a week at the PETCO in Lisbon.. Over the last few months his goal has been trying to up the standards of the fish holds. I believe he is done an outstanding job in the four hours a week he has been putting into it. Thank you for posting the letter over here I haven't even been lurking at our old home. I personally am just concerned about my favorite online reef store being turned over to a large corporation. I believe the animals we care for are more loved by mom and pop shops then large food chains. Just my 2 cents I just hope I'm not disappointed.they also had the best customer service that I have ever dealt with, I have not had equal experience with Petco. One time I gave a bad review about that Co. A district manager called me on the phone to discuss what they could do 2 more interest us reef hobbyist. I told them I would come speak with them in depth about our club and most of our interest. They never returned the call.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what they posted

Greetings,
I would like to take a moment to respond and address some concerns posted in this thread.

Dr. Race Foster and Dr. Marty Smith have worked incredibly hard over the last 31 years, to build an incredibly successful business, which revolves around education, pet heath, and responsible pet ownership. The Petco mission is elevating the lives of animals and enhancing the connection people have with their pets, with a commitment to the highest standards of social responsibility, while continually striving to make things better for pets, people and the planet. Understanding each company’s mission and goals are very similar, we feel this partnership and synergy is going to be beneficial to animals, pet owners, and aquarium hobbyists and enthusiasts alike.

I can assure everyone, my personal mission as the LiveAquaria Director is to take LiveAquaria.com to an even higher level than ever before. The continued expansion of our Aquaculture Coral and Marine Life facility in Rhinelander Wisconsin, home of the LiveAquaria.com Divers Den®, allows us to offer an even greater assortment of quality aquatic life shipped direct to your door.

Rest assured, Dr. Race Foster and I are not going anywhere, and will continue to operate Drs. Foster and Smith pet supplies and LiveAquaria.com as it's business as usual. Both Race and I are incredibly excited for the future and what lies ahead.

Kindest Regards,
Kevin Kohen

Don't want to seem too cynical, and also not believe what KK says, but this is pretty standard rhetoric post acquisition. I'd imagine DD/LA will remain unaffected for a while, but eventually being part of Petco will mean changes. I've seen it happen more times than not. Time will tell though.

betelgeuse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure this matters a whole lot in a place like ct where there are so many great lfs... Just support your lfs and be glad you don't live in a place like Kansas

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back