Did your emerald crab end up eating a fish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Azedenkae
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Did your emerald crab end up eating a fish?

  • No, never saw any intentions.

    Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No, but they do try.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes, but the fish was (likely) dead beforehand.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes, attacked a live fish.

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other (please specify)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    14

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2021
Messages
2,448
Reaction score
2,215
Location
Seattle
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per title. If yours did end up attacking/eating live fish, what size was the fish vs. the crab?
 
Emerald crabs do not hunt fish. If they eat a fish, the fish was dead or minutes from being dead (or was extremely small and sleeping but still that would surprise me). I have dealt with hundreds of these crabs.

Crabs get a weird reputation in this hobby because people are quick to assume they are a culprit because someone else saw them eat something dead and assumed it must have killed
 
Emerald crabs do not hunt fish. If they eat a fish, the fish was dead or minutes from being dead. I have dealt with hundreds of these crabs.

Crabs get a weird reputation in this hobby because people are quick to assume they are a culprit because someone else saw them eat something dead and assumed it must have killed
I am curious about this, because I did see in a thread someone saying they saw a ruby red crab (related species to the emerald crab) straight up grabbed hold of a fish while it was alive: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/236781-emerald-crab-keeps-killing-my-clown-fish/

The two species seem to be very similar, and are both boasted as algae-eating crabs, so I am curious about people's experiences with emerald crabs.

With that said, it was like, one instance. And I dunno, while I normally would not dismiss someone's experience if they actually supposedly saw something happen, it does seem to be only one single instance ever reported.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new