Did your emerald crab end up eating a fish?

Did your emerald crab end up eating a fish?

• No, never saw any intentions.

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • No, but they do try.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes, but the fish was (likely) dead beforehand.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes, attacked a live fish.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify)

• Total voters

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs do not hunt fish. If they eat a fish, the fish was dead or minutes from being dead (or was extremely small and sleeping but still that would surprise me). I have dealt with hundreds of these crabs.

Crabs get a weird reputation in this hobby because people are quick to assume they are a culprit because someone else saw them eat something dead and assumed it must have killed

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs do not hunt fish. If they eat a fish, the fish was dead or minutes from being dead. I have dealt with hundreds of these crabs.

Crabs get a weird reputation in this hobby because people are quick to assume they are a culprit because someone else saw them eat something dead and assumed it must have killed
I am curious about this, because I did see in a thread someone saying they saw a ruby red crab (related species to the emerald crab) straight up grabbed hold of a fish while it was alive: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/236781-emerald-crab-keeps-killing-my-clown-fish/

The two species seem to be very similar, and are both boasted as algae-eating crabs, so I am curious about people's experiences with emerald crabs.

With that said, it was like, one instance. And I dunno, while I normally would not dismiss someone's experience if they actually supposedly saw something happen, it does seem to be only one single instance ever reported.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back