Difference between Black Ocellaris and Black Percula?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reefbuds
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 8, 2017
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
1,778
Location
Mount Olive, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had a black and white for over a year now. I bought her because my son loved her and we were looking for a different clownfish than the standard orange and white. When I got her the LFS wasn't sure if it was a black Ocellaris or black percula, they had "black percula?" As the tag. So how can I tell which this is, as I'm looking to add a mate but need to make sure I'm not adding the wrong species. Thanks!
 
Pics would be helpful. A trained eye can tell them apart, they are very very similar.
 
Best pic I could get. She doesn't like to stop for a moment!

20170806_120304.jpg
 
why female?
 
Just saying her instead of it.but she's been by herself for so long it could be a female by now
 
I have a mated pair that looks the same. Not sure what they are either. I'll have to ask the LFS guy.

Both were juveniles when I purchased them. The "female" is already much larger in size.
 
They will interbreed. However, whatever you decide be sure to get a juvenile as that will be a male and it won't matter what sex the one you have is.
 
I agree, ocellaris!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new