ID my Clown: Percula or Occelaris?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kirschy17
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kirschy17

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 1, 2018
Messages
474
Reaction score
237
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a Clownfish that lost its mate. I would like to try buying a new one so they can pair up.

I bought it in a low reputation Pet Store as a platinum percula.

I dont trist them to know their stuff so i want to be certain to get the right kind.

Also as its white i have read its harder to pair white or non standard color fish. Anyone have any insight on that? If it is a percula id love a picasso as a mate.

I tried counting fins but i can only count 9…

IMG_0625.jpeg
 
Actually it's the number of fin rays (bones), not the number of fins, that is used to determine the difference between A. percula and A. ocellaris. I would assume it is a Platinum percula variety and go ahead and get a Picasso. FWIW, even if you try to pair it off with another percula variety, even another Platinum, it's not a given it will be succsessful.
 
Hi,

I have a Clownfish that lost its mate. I would like to try buying a new one so they can pair up.

I bought it in a low reputation Pet Store as a platinum percula.

I dont trist them to know their stuff so i want to be certain to get the right kind.

Also as its white i have read its harder to pair white or non standard color fish. Anyone have any insight on that? If it is a percula id love a picasso as a mate.

I tried counting fins but i can only count 9…

IMG_0625.jpeg

Actually it's the number of fin rays (bones), not the number of fins, that is used to determine the difference between A. percula and A. ocellaris. I would assume it is a Platinum percula variety and go ahead and get a Picasso. FWIW, even if you try to pair it off with another percula variety, even another Platinum, it's not a given it will be succsessful.
Yes fins / fin rays was lazy typing of me. Reharding pairing success i know that ofc. Thank you
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 22.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new