Differences between Kessil/Radion/Hydra ?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by M4rtin, Dec 6, 2017.

1. M4rtin

M4rtin Well-Known Member

Ready to order some leds for my reefer 250, and could use some quick pointers on what the differences between these lights are.
    -Kessil AP700
    -2x Radion XR15 Pro G4
    -2x Hydra 26 HD

I'm sure all 3 will light lps tank without a problem, just would like to know how they compare to each other when it comes to lunar lights, app availability, disco effect, ease of programming, and whatever else there is that makes it stand out.

Tags:

2. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I was a drab little crab once R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

The lights are all neck to neck. The only downfall to the radions is you need a reeflink to WiFi control them whereas the kessil ap700 and the hydra 26 both have built in WiFi capability. Difference in the kessil and hydra is they hydra can be controlled from anywhere in the world, the kessil you have to be connected to your home's WiFi or connected to the kessils own signal. And kessils ap needs some work. As far as growing coral all three are great. The kessils (in my opinion) pull ahead of the game as kessil is the leader in shimmer and not having a disco ball effect or being able to pick individual colors out in the tank. All three are super easy to program. There are a bunch of other stuff to cover which I'm sure someone else will chime in. As to which one is best, that's up to your own interpretation. Kessil always gets my vote :)

Fritzhamer and Zack Klabunde like this.
  3. Da Ghost

Da Ghost Active Member

Do you think your view may change with the potential addition of the diffusers on the Radions?? Should remove disco ball effect and blend light much better. Thoughts?

crabs_mcjones likes this.
  4. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I was a drab little crab once R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

I wouldn't be opposed to trying them out.

5. Fritzhamer

Fritzhamer Well-Known Member

The ap700 with major diffusion lenses is about as close as you can get to the look of metal halide / the sun.

6. M4rtin

M4rtin Well-Known Member

Placed an order for Kessil.
    Deciding factor for me in the end was overall cleaner look :)

Draft saved Draft deleted