Different Corals, Different Feeding Times?

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone feeds their corals during different times of the day & night, or just once in a day? I feed when my lights are on, and try to spot feed each coral once a week.

I realized some of my corals, such as hammers and frogspawn, are in full bloom during light-on hours and shriveled during lights-off. Perfect time to feed them lights-on (which is what I do).
However, other corals such as my candy cane, platygyra and acan have their feeding tentacles extended only after lights-off. I'm sure they get some food during my spot feeding as I see their mouths open, but is it better to add some food into the water circulation during lights-off when their tentacles are out 'n about for these types of corals?

Just curious what others do!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when my light are off, I see similar behaviors as you. My torches and euphyllia are very small and contracted. Although my acans, scoly, acantho, and bowerbankis are always very puffy with their feeders out. Granted all 4 of these corals, I dont have any trouble feeding... either night or day. (my acantho will eat like no other) The scoly is the only one that is sometimes tricky and would like to be fed towards night time.

Otherwise, I feel like ive trained my corals to take food whenever. My process is to dose my brightwell aminos right before target feeding. This will usually cause all my corals to put out their feeders.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i feed once a day, but what i feed changes depending what day of the week it is. as mentioned above, my scoly's are the only ones where their feeding response is better during lights out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back