Differing nitrate readings?!

Sidney3773

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m currently battling dinos and have been dosing some nutrients as nitrates and phosphates were bottomed out, ergo probably the cause (full deets on my post in general discussion).

Today my hanna checker arrived for nitrates as I thought it would just be easier and more accurate for every day checks while I’m tackling dinos.

However I’ve just checked levels and the hanna came back with 43.1 after my chem test yesterday gave 2.5. So I also did a chem test and I believe that’s reading around 10 (see attached, light’s bit great for photo but best I could do…certainly wouldn’t say it’s reading at 40 odd?!).

Yesterday I dosed 26ml of neonitro, added copepods, dosed 6ml of phytoplankton and added coraline algae scrapings (all for the Dino battle). So would expect a raise in nitrates, but not to that level and not with a disparity between readings.

Any thoughts/suggestions?!

E188562E-2847-4629-8E1B-DF7DF0C6073F.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HR as I’m aiming for higher nitrates for the dinos
That’s interesting. I’m not familiar with the appearance of your Hanna test kit. I never got that chart paper. Interesting.

I would also be concerned if your readings aren‘t showing precise readings.

Luckily for dino control, the actual value isn’t as important as simply getting it above 0. :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rerun the hanna?

I always used the red sea pro before switching to the hanna HR. They seemed to match pretty closely from my experience.

Whats the other kit your using?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HR as I’m aiming for higher nitrates for the dinos

Dinos don't seem to care about nitrate levels. The seemingly strong correlate is 0.00 phosphate, but no one really knows what causes dinos despite what some on here might say.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m currently battling dinos and have been dosing some nutrients as nitrates and phosphates were bottomed out, ergo probably the cause (full deets on my post in general discussion).

Today my hanna checker arrived for nitrates as I thought it would just be easier and more accurate for every day checks while I’m tackling dinos.

However I’ve just checked levels and the hanna came back with 43.1 after my chem test yesterday gave 2.5. So I also did a chem test and I believe that’s reading around 10 (see attached, light’s bit great for photo but best I could do…certainly wouldn’t say it’s reading at 40 odd?!).

Yesterday I dosed 26ml of neonitro, added copepods, dosed 6ml of phytoplankton and added coraline algae scrapings (all for the Dino battle). So would expect a raise in nitrates, but not to that level and not with a disparity between readings.

Any thoughts/suggestions?!

E188562E-2847-4629-8E1B-DF7DF0C6073F.jpeg
Hanna Checkers is probably correct.

What is the name of the other nitrate test kit?

OP
OP
Sidney3773

Sidney3773

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rerun the hanna?

I always used the red sea pro before switching to the hanna HR. They seemed to match pretty closely from my experience.

Whats the other kit your using?
I had done one about five minutes before and it was 45! The other kit is Marine Labs by NT Labs

OP
OP
Sidney3773

Sidney3773

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting. I’m not familiar with the appearance of your Hanna test kit. I never got that chart paper. Interesting.

I would also be concerned if your readings aren‘t showing precise readings.

Luckily for dino control, the actual value isn’t as important as simply getting it above 0. :)
That’s not the Hanna, that’s the chat for the Marine Lab chem test kit

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back