Digital Aquatics Customer Service

Discussion in 'Aquarium Controllers' started by DSmithZ28, Nov 29, 2017.

1. DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28 Well-Known Member

Not a common post in the forums as we all know Digital Aquatics customers service is not all that great. But be advised that they have removed their phone number form their webpage and not responding to emails either. I have left multiple messages and emails with no response.

My issue has been with the Net Module. I got it installed and finally online using this DD-WRT hack on a Netgear wireless router: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...r-into-a-wireless-adapter-using-dd-wrt.59671/

The problem is the online interface does not recognize my modules and lists them as Unknown. The sidebar FAQ says you have to call DA to get this resolved. So I guess I'm done with this. Way too many hours into this mickey mouse setup. $30 bucks I just bought 100ft Cat 5 Cable and will run it through the wall to my router in the bedroom. I could have done that in 1 hour compared to the hours of reading and messing with a wireless bridge setup. I just hate having to unplug the iTemp to use the SID because it flashes an alarm and my heaters come on because the RKL thinks it's 77 degrees in there for some reason and the temp just goes up quickly. (I run two ehiem 200w heaters on a 90 gal)

Just thought I would advise anyone trying to reach DA for support.

Tags:

2. Ryanbrs

Ryanbrs Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

Honestly, no one should be selling the net module without a huge warning that this is a giant pain in the butt and will almost certainly disappoint most users. They openly admit this and anyone who has ever sold one knows. The only reason to have it available is a very very small fraction of very technologically enabled folks with the exact right network and equipment will be successful using it.

I personally value how inexpensive the whole RKL platform is and think it is a solid product with very little competition at this price point. That said network connectivity, ability to send email notifications and general support really isn't the primary component of their value proposition. Disappointing for sure.

Hitman and DSmithZ28 like this.
  3. EuroDriver

EuroDriver Well-Known Member

There's a firmware update that came out recently for the net module (it's a little different that simply updating via the SID). It's on their homepage with a link to the update file. Have you run that yet?

I hear you on the customer service issue. I was very frustrated with them the last time I needed tech support. It took a few days but when they finally addressed me, they rolled out the red carpet with personalized attention.

4. crs751

crs751 Well-Known Member

The best way I’ve found to get support is to send in a support request through their website. There are delays getting a response but when they do reply they are dogged in getting your issues resolved. I can’t speak for the other controller manufacturers but it is my opinion that DA really only has one person in support and that is Eric. I recently had a ticket in and someone else responded so maybe they are getting Eric some help. It has to be a daunting task for one person to follow up on all of those claims.

5. n2585722

n2585722 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Some of us here know about the NET. Are you having issues updating the firmware?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  6. n2585722

n2585722 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

To fix the SID issue get a HUB module. This is a 5 way buss splitter and will allow you to hook the SID and the iTemp up together. The HUB does not count toward the 4 module limit. Also When I was using my RKE I used a Hawking Technology wireless multi channel USB adapter with their software to connect the SID wirelessly to a computer. That was a long time ago though.

As far as the unknown modules it couls be newer released modules. There is a webpage update that fixes this for the NET. This is different than a software update. If you want I will see if I can locate the link. Do you remember which modules that were showing as unknown?

7. n2585722

OK, I located the new webpage file http://digitalaquatics.com/downloads/NET-1-0212.zip. Download and unzip. Then open the NET module webpages. There is a way to update the webages from the menu. I would have to power up my RKE with the NET to give specific instructins if you need them. Just let me know if you need them.

Draft saved Draft deleted