Digital Input - PL-ADIN card Usage Example

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Zonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am beginning to build a freshwater planted tank and would like to set up automatic water changes with a GHL Maxi Doser. My water storage tank is in the garage, ~25 feet from the aquarium. I have a Profilux 4 on order, due in ~1 week. I am interested in using the Avast Barrel Tender 2 on my water storage tank to assist with refilling the storage tank with tap water when it is near empty. I read the posts on this thread about using a PLN-ADIN card but do not understand how it was wired to the Barrel Tender. Could I please get some BASIC help as to how to hook everything up? Thanks, Jaime

OP
OP
Support@GHLUSA

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checkout the following posts:
Digital Input - PL-ADIN card Usage Example - adapter
Digital Input - PL-ADIN card Usage Example - wiring
Digital Input - PL-ADIN card Usage Example - programming

I used a DB9 to terminal block. link in first post.
Then pinout and programming is in the other posts. Let me know if you get stuck. I no longer have/use the barrel tender.

Thanks for the reply. I have already read these posts but wasn't clear in the details. How do you connect the DB9 to the ADIN card? Can the connecting wire be over 25 feet long? Thanks, Jaime

OP
OP
Support@GHLUSA

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I have already read these posts but wasn't clear in the details. How do you connect the DB9 to the ADIN card? Can the connecting wire be over 25 feet long? Thanks, Jaime
The ADIN card has a RJ45 port - you can use a network cable to connect to the DB9 adapter.
I ended up replacing the RJ45-DB9 and DB9-terminal with the single RJ45-Terminal adapter I found on Amazon.

as for length - I don't see why not, though it's a low voltage loop, the more length will add resistance and may slow the response.

Zonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the card to switch my stand lights on and off through microswitches but I have a really long delay from the time the switch is closed to the time the lights come on is there a way to adjust the delay?

OP
OP
Support@GHLUSA

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the card to switch my stand lights on and off through microswitches but I have a really long delay from the time the switch is closed to the time the lights come on is there a way to adjust the delay?
Define really long?
Mine used to be a couple of seconds or so, not instant, but not overly long.
Mine were wired in series..

*corrected.

Last edited:

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are in series also I timed it at 7 seconds most times. Sometimes longer than other times

Last edited:
OP
OP
Support@GHLUSA

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a look at one of my old youtube videos. It's about 2-3 secs.
I think it's very dependent on the connections and amount of wire used. due to the cable routing, i had quite a bit of distance by the time it was run in series.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Marco@GHLUSA and @Vinny@GHLUSA

I have installed a PL-ADIN card in my expansion box and it not being seen by my P4. I am running 7.11 and the latest code on the expansion box 2.03.

I have tried multiple slots I can not installed it inside the P4 as the slots inside the P4 are full.

I read the website and it states P4 or expansion box so was wondering could I have a bad card?

Just wondering how I go about troubleshooting the issue.

OP
OP
Support@GHLUSA

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Marco@GHLUSA and @Vinny@GHLUSA

I have installed a PL-ADIN card in my expansion box and it not being seen by my P4. I am running 7.11 and the latest code on the expansion box 2.03.

I have tried multiple slots I can not installed it inside the P4 as the slots inside the P4 are full.

I read the website and it states P4 or expansion box so was wondering could I have a bad card?

Just wondering how I go about troubleshooting the issue.
Hmm. Have you tested it by installing in P4 directly ?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Marco@GHLUSA

Yes if I pull out a card out of the P4 it works but I can not remove the two cards that are already in the unit because the expansion box location is being placed in a location where the humidity card and oxygen card in the P4 can not reach the tank if added to expansion box. And I have no idea if those cards work in the expansion box either.

Is not the card suppose to work in the expansion box?

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back