Digital Refractometers: What's your experience?

Do you own a digital refractometer and if not would you ever consider using one in the future?

• I own one

Votes: 298 45.4%
  • I do not own one but would like to try one in the future

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • I am not interested in them

Votes: 116 17.7%
  • I am just learning about them

Votes: 38 5.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 2.4%

• Total voters

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best digital refractometer in my opinion. Great customer service as well from Milwaukee ....So I had purchased a used MA887 off of eBay 06 to 8 months ago maybe a little longer and the unit never really worked right I contacted Milwaukee and they graciously offered to fix it or replace it at no cost to me long as I can provide a receipt so I shipped it in and a couple weeks later I received a brand new most up to date model with case and calibrating solutions. SO made my day and now I can easily test my water in DT and when mixing new.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean like the tropic marin you don't calibrate you temperature adjust. This type is calibrate at a specific temperature depending on application. Here is article by Randy
I have no idea what name brand it is as it was given to me by a friend. Living reef Orlando did the calibration using theirs's and some liquid that is for the purpose. It has not steered me wrong. I clean it after every use and keep it in a zip-loc bag .

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchased at least six Milwaukee MA887's over the years. They just don't hold up to tank side use - my staff has destroyed all but one. Water intrusion, broken/loose prisms, and leaks around the test well. Now that I know they are plus or minus 2 ppt (i should have read the documentation!) we sure won't be getting any additional ones.

Jay

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchased at least six Milwaukee MA887's over the years. They just don't hold up to tank side use - my staff has destroyed all but one. Water intrusion, broken/loose prisms, and leaks around the test well. Now that I know they are plus or minus 2 ppt (i should have read the documentation!) we sure won't be getting any additional ones.

Jay
Sounds like the employees are hard on your equipment

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned an MA887 for 5 years, love it! Calibration is a must or you're asking for trouble. Some folks prefer using "steam distilled" calibration solution; however, through experience and lots of cross checking I've found regular store bought distilled water works great for me.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
My experience is 2 used carefully have the same end result. I think sps need more stability than +/- 2 ppt.

I settled on a VeeGee sx3 refractometer. It is more lab based refractometer at a reasonable price. The view is clearer than hobby grade rebranded chinese equipment.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard refractometer that was made for the reef hobby. I've had it for I don't know how many years... probably pushing 10. I keep a 35 ppt standard and verify it's calibration regularly. Seems simple to me. Never had to adjust it more than a couple ppt. I always calibrate and measure in the same light because Randy reported that changing light sources made a difference.

jeffp1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the icecap salinity checker since they came out years ago. Never let me down. I check it against a good hydrometer every couple of months. Always on point.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back