Digitate Hydroid

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading regarding treatments but not much of what will eat these things.

can someone share what they have done to get rid of them without pulling live rock out or treating the aquarium? Has anyone had success on adding a fish or an invert to rid of them?
8970C095-CD29-4C50-BB8D-3C5EF4454E03.jpeg

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I had so many of these things. I didn't do anything and they went away on their own or have died off to the point i'm not seeing them anymore. I was on the verge of getting a tuxedo urchin( i've heard they eat them)

acananoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had those run around my tanks, probably still do. I manually removed any bothering corals with tweezers (it's basically impossible to get the whole thing), there were quite a few for a while and now I don't see any. I'm not sure what causes the population to ebb and flow. I have read peppermint shrimp might eat them.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they bother your corals? I haven’t
A few months ago I had so many of these things. I didn't do anything and they went away on their own or have died off to the point i'm not seeing them anymore. I was on the verge of getting a tuxedo urchin( i've heard they eat them)
seen much side affect on mine. I just heard they could possibly sting them.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had those run around my tanks, probably still do. I manually removed any bothering corals with tweezers (it's basically impossible to get the whole thing), there were quite a few for a while and now I don't see any. I'm not sure what causes the population to ebb and flow. I have read peppermint shrimp might eat them.
I was debating on grabbing a peppermint shrimp as well. I might still just to be on the safe side. I’ll try the tweezer method. Yeah i doubt I’ll be able to pull the whole thing but I’m guessing if we rip it in half it won’t come back? Lol

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some that come out only after lights are out. Some are def near corals but don’t seem to be doing any damage.
Mine too. Which is good most def. I have like 15 of them. Some very little and short but then ones like these which I’ll pull out with a tweezer at night since they do come out more during the night time

nathang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine disappeared two days after adding an aiptasia filefish and six line wrasse. Not sure which was responsible since I added them at the same time but was glad I did either way! I had a pretty significant infestation too.

acananoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was debating on grabbing a peppermint shrimp as well. I might still just to be on the safe side. I’ll try the tweezer method. Yeah i doubt I’ll be able to pull the whole thing but I’m guessing if we rip it in half it won’t come back? Lol
Mine would come back sometimes. Mileage may vary :)

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these for years. I initially had thousands. I used fenbendezole but don’t do this as it messed up my tank it will also kill many corals. Even that after two years they returned. I have had filefish peppermint shrimp and see no evidence they eat them but really don’t know for sure. The one absolute is if you used reef roids the population will explode. On two separate tanks I stopped ALL coral food and dramatically reduced. However I know still there but I see no evidence of damage to corals at all.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these for years. I initially had thousands. I used fenbendezole but don’t do this as it messed up my tank it will also kill many corals. Even that after two years they returned. I have had filefish peppermint shrimp and see no evidence they eat them but really don’t know for sure. The one absolute is if you used reef roids the population will explode. On two separate tanks I stopped ALL coral food and dramatically reduced. However I know still there but I see no evidence of damage to corals at all.
Luckily I do not broadcast reefroids or hardly even use it in general. I wonder if AB+ or adding an amino chemical in there will grow the population. I see some that I can try and pluck out with tweezers so ill try that here and there. thanks for the input!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back