Digitate hydroids?

edgecrusher

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2025
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
Location
Richmond
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First post here. New to reefing and have yet to do a formal introduction, on the list. I picked up some zoas from a local coral seller a few weeks back. Have a couple of these on a frag and am noticing a few more hair-like worms popping up in the rockwork. Is this Digitate Hydroids? Spaghetti worm? I poked around in the pinned threads but didn't see anything exactly like this. Thanks in advance!

 
Here's a closer image. I took a precautionary measure and yanked the plug, then put a thin layer of super glue over the areas where the buggers were popping out; I had a couple on that frag. I observed one releasing a small spherical thing into the water column. Could have been anything, but perhaps larve?

pest2.jpg
 
Upvote 0
They do look like Hydroids. Digitate are insidious, they pop up and spread.
I was afraid of that and I'm seeing them pop up in several places today. Removing the ones that I see, but not very hopefully I can eradicate. I saw a video of a guy using a laser to spot-remove isolated ones. Interesting technique.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new