Digitate Hydroids

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a IM nuvo 40 that is about 3 months old. It has been fallow for about a month due to a velvet/Brook outbreak and will have to stay fallow for another month or so still. But I have recently noticed a digitate hydroid bloom, curious the best way to get rid of them. It started as just a few but they are multiplying pretty quickly now. I feed the tank about once or twice a week to feed corals and my cleaner shrimp, not sure if reducing feeding will help get rid of them. Or if there are any critters or fish that will eat them? TIA!

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a IM nuvo 40 that is about 3 months old. It has been fallow for about a month due to a velvet/Brook outbreak and will have to stay fallow for another month or so still. But I have recently noticed a digitate hydroid bloom, curious the best way to get rid of them. It started as just a few but they are multiplying pretty quickly now. I feed the tank about once or twice a week to feed corals and my cleaner shrimp, not sure if reducing feeding will help get rid of them. Or if there are any critters or fish that will eat them? TIA!

The best way is to cut off their food. I’ve had them come and go for years with no ill effects. The few times they have irritated coral, I just plucked them out. Some say certain limpets will eat them but mine never touched them.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we have a pic first to have a positive id on the hydroids first. Different hydroids have different approach

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we have a pic first to have a positive id on the hydroids first. Different hydroids have different approach

I can't get a good pic of them as the mostly come out at night but the look exactly like this.
IMG_4214copy.jpeg

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them show up from time to time as well, never been a big problem.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peppermint shrimp wiped out all of my spaghetti worms after getting rid of aiptasia. They might go for these too

Edit: are you sure it’s hydroids and not spaghetti worms?

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peppermint shrimp wiped out all of my spaghetti worms after getting rid of aiptasia. They might go for these too

Edit: are you sure it’s hydroids and not spaghetti worms?
yea its defiantly not spaghetti worms, maybe I'll try a peppermint shrimp and see if it goes for it. Any other critters known to eat these things?

Last edited:

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea its defiantly not spaghetti worms, maybe I'll try a peppermint shrimp and see if it goes for it. Any other critters known to eat these things?
So did you get rid of your hydroids? I have the same exact thing in my tank right now. Going fallow due to ich/brook. Tank about 7 months. Hope to hear from you thanks

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 63 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.3%
Back