Dimmable T5 to VDM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone done this?
I habe seen a few places online talking about a DIY type thing for this to happen.

Any help would be great.

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hook the 2 wire that are the dimmable feature on your ballast to the corresponding wires on the apex rj45 cable. This cable will dim 2 channels

OP
OP
jboone82590

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hook the 2 wire that are the dimmable feature on your ballast to the corresponding wires on the apex rj45 cable. This cable will dim 2 channels
So if i got 2 of the retrofit kits then i would need 2 of those or just 1?

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 cable will work 2 inputs so if your ballast only has I set of dimmable outputs then it will control 2 ballasts if your ballast has 2 sets if outputs say so it's a 4x24 and the 2 sets dim 2 bulbs each you will use the 1 cable to do the 2 channels on the ballasts. Unless you want them all to do the same and you can connect them together off the same inputs. Make sense. Lol

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the cable comes with all 8 pins showing but you only need the black and red wires. Be careful some places say black is + and red is - and some say red is + and black is -. So I don't know if you hook red to red and black to black or red to black and black to red.

OP
OP
jboone82590

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 cable will work 2 inputs so if your ballast only has I set of dimmable outputs then it will control 2 ballasts if your ballast has 2 sets if outputs say so it's a 4x24 and the 2 sets dim 2 bulbs each you will use the 1 cable to do the 2 channels on the ballasts. Unless you want them all to do the same and you can connect them together off the same inputs. Make sense. Lol
So i have 4 bulbs and 2 ballists. I believe they have just one set of wires.
Ill need another VDM if i do this lol.
I think i will do 2 bulbs on each wire so ill get 2.

OP
OP
jboone82590

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the cable comes with all 8 pins showing but you only need the black and red wires. Be careful some places say black is + and red is - and some say red is + and black is -. So I don't know if you hook red to red and black to black or red to black and black to red.
What happens if i get them wrong???

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I believe you just need 1 cable. Are you using your vrspeed outlets in the main unit?. It sgould work on those outlets?. Idk what happens..

porterreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joining because I hooked up the vdm cable to the dimmable ballast and only wanted 2 bulbs controlled and stopped after I couldn't figure the programming out for apex fusion. Literally everything on my tank went crazy, so the cable is just tied up and not being used. I would like to hear a way to program it without my tanks equipment acting like a ghost is trying to communicate with me. ;Sorry

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean flickering? I don't think you can dim them down past a certain percent like 10%-20%. Or they will act up. It's either 0% or past that point they like.

porterreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I mean my skimmer, return pump, etc was turning on and off without me doing anything but plugging the vdm in and "trying" to program a ramp cycle for the light. It was so weird I couldn't believe what it did.

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes never seen thst before. Maybe it was a bad VDM

Rick's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am controlling 4 dimmable T5 ballasts with the VDM.

Below is a picture of my lighting control board (mounted in my pantry behind the tank). Unfortunately, because I have 5' bulbs, I had to use special ballasts that are 1 dimmable ballast per bulb and not super affordable. But I really wanted the capability (I am not sure in the end it was worth it, but it is there already, so I am not changing direction). I have the VDM with 2 cables, each cable supplies 2 ballasts.
Lighting Boards.jpg

I used two 8-conductor solid-core HVAC control cables to connect the ballasts to the bulbs, which are about 5' away after routing through the wall to the canopy. I put in a couple of 9-pin square molex cables to connect those cables to the wires that run through the canopy to the individual bulbs.
Angle on lights.jpg

Flip Up Lights.jpg

Here it is all lit up. The fish are a subtle message from my wife that I am taking too long to get the rock in the tank...
IMG_5657.JPG

Good luck!
Rick

IMG_5658.JPG

OP
OP
jboone82590

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am controlling 4 dimmable T5 ballasts with the VDM.

Below is a picture of my lighting control board (mounted in my pantry behind the tank). Unfortunately, because I have 5' bulbs, I had to use special ballasts that are 1 dimmable ballast per bulb and not super affordable. But I really wanted the capability (I am not sure in the end it was worth it, but it is there already, so I am not changing direction). I have the VDM with 2 cables, each cable supplies 2 ballasts.
Lighting Boards.jpg

I used two 8-conductor solid-core HVAC control cables to connect the ballasts to the bulbs, which are about 5' away after routing through the wall to the canopy. I put in a couple of 9-pin square molex cables to connect those cables to the wires that run through the canopy to the individual bulbs.
Angle on lights.jpg

Flip Up Lights.jpg

Here it is all lit up. The fish are a subtle message from my wife that I am taking too long to get the rock in the tank...
IMG_5657.JPG

Good luck!
Rick

IMG_5658.JPG
So you have 2 ballists hooked to one cable for the VDM?
They both control one bulb each and they both are controlled the same correct?
How did you wire the cord for the VDM to the ballist?

OP
OP
jboone82590

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean flickering? I don't think you can dim them down past a certain percent like 10%-20%. Or they will act up. It's either 0% or past that point they like.
I read it was just at 0% but ill probably turn off at 10%

OP
OP
jboone82590

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I mean my skimmer, return pump, etc was turning on and off without me doing anything but plugging the vdm in and "trying" to program a ramp cycle for the light. It was so weird I couldn't believe what it did.
That is crazy.
So you cant get them to be controlled by the apex?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back