Dino dilemma... A different perspective

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my temporary frag tank (fiji cube 10g) I have Dinos, Ostreopsis sp. to be exact. The tank is bare bottom with a few small pieces of Australian live rock and an eggcrate and a frag rack. It is a tank that set up for a couple months, with the first month cycling with the ammonia created from the new live rock. So that is the background, now on to my dilemma.
Usually in my case, dinos just go away in my other builds, just a part of life. This is my first bare bottom. My patience was wearing thin for many reasons, so I pulled out the microscope to identify which ones I had. They were as I mentioned before, Ostreopsis sp. As I looked closer I noticed they were being feasted on by all sorts of interesting things! From copepod looking critters, to a huge (microscope huge) Protozoan looking thing that was gobbling these things up like Ms. Pacman. I have not read yet in other posts where this is happening.
So do I...
1. Leave things as the are, let nature take its course, thereby creating a biodiversity that can handle Dino's in the future.
or
2. Just run a UV to eliminate the Dinos and also in process eliminating a future possibility of a future defense of Dinos?
or
3. Am I thinking about this completely wrong?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up another similar tank immediately.
Divide rock and put 1/2 in the new tank, partially fill with water change from the new tank.

And then try a UV on one and let the other ride natural. :cool:

Report back when you have results on which way was best.

I think you are thinking completely correctly, but which way to go??? It will be interesting to see how this progresses, either way.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up another similar tank immediately.
Divide rock and put 1/2 in the new tank, partially fill with water change from the new tank.

And then try a UV on one and let the other ride natural. :cool:

Report back when you have results on which way was best.

I think you are thinking completely correctly, but which way to go??? It will be interesting to see how this progresses, either way.
Are you trying to get me killed?
A. The wife....
B. I "have no more room":rolleyes: (according to the wife)
C. That experiment would have to be run indefinitely or until the biodiversity was overtaken by something else. (see A.+B.)
D. This frag tank is only a temporary one. But the rock will go into the new one.
I know I can take care of quite quickly the offenders with UV. But do I want to?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to get me killed?
A. The wife....
B. I "have no more room":rolleyes: (according to the wife)
C. That experiment would have to be run indefinitely or until the biodiversity was overtaken by something else. (see A.+B.)
D. This frag tank is only a temporary one. But the rock will go into the new one.
I know I can take care of quite quickly the offenders with UV. But do I want to?
Set a date on your calendar where the natural cure is finished or you add UV.
How soon do you need the tank "finished?"

I totally get "A" by the way. My condolences :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Any chance she might change her mind "For Science!?" We can write up some impressive plan of experiment to help convince her this is legit.

Anyway, it is cool to read your observations on the biotic predators that appear to be destroying the invasion. IF we could bottle those guys we might get rich!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just eliminate with whatever works......I doubt you have some new strain of organism that will eliminate your tank of any future strain of dinos (otherwise you could become very rich lol) so I would just fire up the UV :)

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set a date on your calendar where the natural cure is finished or you add UV.
How soon do you need the tank "finished?"

I totally get "A" by the way. My condolences :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Any chance she might change her mind "For Science!?" We can write up some impressive plan of experiment to help convince her this is legit.

Anyway, it is cool to read your observations on the biotic predators that appear to be destroying the invasion. IF we could bottle those guys we might get rich!
Maybe show her how cute some fish or invertebrates can be?

I know I'm a sucker for anything cute, but then, my home is like a zoo.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just eliminate with whatever works......I doubt you have some new strain of organism that will eliminate your tank of any future strain of dinos (otherwise you could become very rich lol) so I would just fire up the UV :)
But if someone said, just deal with it for a couple more weeks and you will never have an outbreak again... What would you do?
I doubt that these are a new predatory organisms, but where did they come from and could I replicate it on demand in the future. Probably not, but the chance getting of dinos, like any pest in the future, whether it is an outbreak or not. Will happen.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if someone said, just deal with it for a couple more weeks and you will never have an outbreak again... What would you do?
I doubt that these are a new predatory organisms, but where did they come from and could I replicate it on demand in the future. Probably not, but the chance getting of dinos, like any pest in the future, whether it is an outbreak or not. Will happen.
I'm thinking these hitchhikers came with the live rock and with time, and maybe not very much time the dinos will vanish like they have for you (an me) in the past?

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe show her how cute some fish or invertebrates can be?

I know I'm a sucker for anything cute, but then, my home is like a zoo.
Oh, the tank is surrounded by very healthy tanks with lots of pretty and interesting things.
She points at this one and says " What's going on here?"

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, due to my lack of patience and glass half empty attitude, I would probably be very skeptical that it would disappear by itself in a couple of weeks, and would probably do what I can to eliminate as soon as possible lol.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, due to my lack of patience and glass half empty attitude, I would probably be very skeptical that it would disappear by itself in a couple of weeks, and would probably do what I can to eliminate as soon as possible lol.
Actually, it seems to be diminishing day by day. I am doing a dust off with the turkey baster and sucking some out in the evening. It is not affecting the corals, in fact my green birds nest has some great polyp extensions going on. So I think I will let it ride for a bit. It's funny because Petco keeps sending me this 20% off coupon and the GKM 9 watt is already on sale.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no corals or anything else likely to be affected by the toxicity of Ostreopsis, it's certainly ok to see what happens. With their toxicity an tremendous reproductive rate it will be a bit out of the ordinary if they resolve but it's certainly worth a try. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no corals or anything else likely to be affected by the toxicity of Ostreopsis, it's certainly ok to see what happens. With their toxicity an tremendous reproductive rate it will be a bit out of the ordinary if they resolve but it's certainly worth a try. Keep us posted.
That's the interesting thing about doing some research on this species. They produce the same palytoxin as Paly's. People get all upset about having Zoa's and Pally's. But I really don't think most people know about the Ostreopsis sp. I didn't, well I knew they could be toxic, but I didn't know it was a palytoxin. Which also have the same symptoms as Covid, which I have/had this week. Or do I?
That being said, The corals I do have in there are going gang busters with full extension. That might be from the waste product of all the critters eating the Dinos. Definitely less every day. I think I am seeing more diatoms showing up, Haven’t pulled the microscope out yet to check. I wish there was a way I could take a photo, I have tried with my Iphone but I just can not get it to work.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little update for those that are interested. The Dinos are pretty much gone. 1000% better. I glad I used the natural approach with this. Now I feel I will have some sort of defense in the future.
Unfortunately, I can’t tell you my sources. As in it could have came from the Australian live branch rock that sat damp but out of the water for two weeks before I got it. My swamp mix from Ellis Aquatics that I add rotifers to. Or NSW. Any of those but not limiting too, could have been the problem and or solution. I wish I had a picture from the height of the situation, but here is a pic I just did.
IMG_1199.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my temporary frag tank (fiji cube 10g) I have Dinos, Ostreopsis sp. to be exact. The tank is bare bottom with a few small pieces of Australian live rock and an eggcrate and a frag rack. It is a tank that set up for a couple months, with the first month cycling with the ammonia created from the new live rock. So that is the background, now on to my dilemma.
Usually in my case, dinos just go away in my other builds, just a part of life. This is my first bare bottom. My patience was wearing thin for many reasons, so I pulled out the microscope to identify which ones I had. They were as I mentioned before, Ostreopsis sp. As I looked closer I noticed they were being feasted on by all sorts of interesting things! From copepod looking critters, to a huge (microscope huge) Protozoan looking thing that was gobbling these things up like Ms. Pacman. I have not read yet in other posts where this is happening.
So do I...
1. Leave things as the are, let nature take its course, thereby creating a biodiversity that can handle Dino's in the future.
or
2. Just run a UV to eliminate the Dinos and also in process eliminating a future possibility of a future defense of Dinos?
or
3. Am I thinking about this completely wrong?
interesting observations. Are the dinoflagellates bothering the frags? If not, do nothing and use the microscope daily to document the microorganism competition. Sell the dinoflagellates predators for loads of cash and retire rich.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little update for those that are interested. The Dinos are pretty much gone. 1000% better. I glad I used the natural approach with this. Now I feel I will have some sort of defense in the future.
Unfortunately, I can’t tell you my sources. As in it could have came from the Australian live branch rock that sat damp but out of the water for two weeks before I got it. My swamp mix from Ellis Aquatics that I add rotifers to. Or NSW. Any of those but not limiting too, could have been the problem and or solution. I wish I had a picture from the height of the situation, but here is a pic I just did.
IMG_1199.jpeg
What is the swamp mix from Ellis?

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been dealing with Dino’s for over a year, exhausting every possible remedy that has been suggested to me. In my experience, they don’t just go away on their own.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a copepod/phyto/artemia mix on top of the fridge. 8oz for $15, 16oz for $25. Some days it is better than others, depending how fresh it is. I just call it a swamp mix.
Cool, I'm going down there this week but taking an old car and leaving my wallet at home

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back