Dino ID - Coolia? Why are cells not moving?

jimmypencil

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 29, 2021
Messages
543
Reaction score
244
Location
south carolina
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
had Dino’s in September that I beat in a couple months (pictured below). Shortly after that I’ve had red/brown algae in the sand. It’s been mild so I didn’t think much of it. Been there atleast since November. Finally started bothering me so I put it under a microscope and looks like coolia dinos.

I want to get confirmation because NONE OF THE DINO CELLS ARE MOVING AT ALL. Every video I see online of Dino’s under a microscope they are moving. The Dino’s had in September moved like a roomba. Am I taking the sample wrong? I take a scoop of sand, shake it up then take a couple drops of the water from the sand.

The Dino’s I have now don’t go away at night at all. They are on top of the sand and on the glass under the sand. there are no brown snot like strands on rocks or glass like Dino’s from september. There are some microbubbles on the rocks but very little and there are no strands at all.

Here are Dino’s I had in September.
IMG_9598.png

IMG_9672.png

IMG_9671.png

Here is what I have now. They don’t go away at night at all.



IMG_9608.png


IMG_9674.png


IMG_9611.png
IMG_9610.png
IMG_9609.png
IMG_9607.png


IMG_9673.png
 
had Dino’s in September that I beat in a couple months (pictured below). Shortly after that I’ve had red/brown algae in the sand. It’s been mild so I didn’t think much of it. Been there atleast since November. Finally started bothering me so I put it under a microscope and looks like coolia dinos.

I want to get confirmation because NONE OF THE DINO CELLS ARE MOVING AT ALL. Every video I see online of Dino’s under a microscope they are moving. The Dino’s had in September moved like a roomba. Am I taking the sample wrong? I take a scoop of sand, shake it up then take a couple drops of the water from the sand.

The Dino’s I have now don’t go away at night at all. They are on top of the sand and on the glass under the sand. there are no brown snot like strands on rocks or glass like Dino’s from september. There are some microbubbles on the rocks but very little and there are no strands at all.

Here are Dino’s I had in September.
IMG_9598.png

IMG_9672.png

IMG_9671.png

Here is what I have now. They don’t go away at night at all.



IMG_9608.png


IMG_9674.png


IMG_9611.png
IMG_9610.png
IMG_9609.png
IMG_9607.png


IMG_9673.png
Looks like the species of dinoflagellate changed from Ostreopsis in September to the round type which might be Coolia.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new