Dino ID help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Formulator
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Formulator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2024
Messages
2,706
Reaction score
2,759
Location
Saint Louis, MO, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a very long and hard fought battle with high phosphates in my 9 year old system, I over-shot my target and they bottomed out. I have quickly raised them back up to 0.1 ppm (actually overshot that too and currently at 0.5 ppm PO4). Nitrate is at 10 ppm and stable. I have dinos on a single side of my tank that I don't scrape as often as the other sides because it is against a wall (partially against an exterior window). They look like small cell Amphidinium to me, but maybe that is wishful thinking. What do you all think?

Sorry the microscope images are not the best, but I think the video shows how fast they move which led me to think they are the small cell amphidinium.

Tank Glass:
IMG_4917.jpeg


400x microscopic image:
IMG_4919.png


 
I would just get a small hand scraper and siphon them as you scrape. That looks minor. Notice how the coralline isn't affected at all.
 
I would just get a small hand scraper and siphon them as you scrape. That looks minor. Notice how the coralline isn't affected at all.
Ok, I will do that. I was worried scraping them would somehow cause them to spread and they are very localized right now.
 
Ok, I will do that. I was worried scraping them would somehow cause them to spread and they are very localized right now.
You can siphon them into a sock unless you are doing a water change to. A 9 year tank has a strong biome so I don't think it will get a foothold even when your nutrients dropped briefly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new