Dino ID please

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go again... sorry for bad quality it’s the best I can get. Not sure how to upload a video. Thanks in advance... I’ve had ostreopsis a few times and I’m certain it’s not that this time.
8BD30491-B03F-422A-A28A-185C3180E604.jpeg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult to tell for sure from this photo for me, but I think amphidinium. Can you post a video and try to get a little better focus? Magnification level is great.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
Gobi-Wan

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
Thank you!! I sometimes tag you when someone has dinos but i guess I forgot to ask when it was me... I was kind of in a panic since I’ve only had ostreopsis in the past and gotten rid of it with UV.

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either large cell or small cell Amphidinium it seems, based on the shape, size, and movement type. They move like a "Roomba" (Automatic Vacuum). Could be procentrum... I can't tell unless you upload a clearer picture or video. What magnification level is this taken at? Small cell and large cell amphidinium have different eradication techniques.

Check out this thread for more info:

OP
OP
Gobi-Wan

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is full program:
I have an algae turf scrubber that I shut down before dosing the peroxide. Should I be running my skimmer during this? Or is changing my filter floss daily enough to remove the toxins or whatever happens when the dinos die

OP
OP
Gobi-Wan

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is full program:
Ok i did it, it looked like it was gone after the 5 days but it’s coming back and now instead of .04 phosphate I now have .25 phosphate from running without skimmer or algae scrubber for 5 days so I don’t think it’s safe to dose again since I would have to shut down the turf scrubber again...

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an algae turf scrubber that I shut down before dosing the peroxide. Should I be running my skimmer during this? Or is changing my filter floss daily enough to remove the toxins or whatever happens when the dinos die
I have the same question

I have Dino w .00 phosphates and still have skimmer and scrubber running

OP
OP
Gobi-Wan

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same question

I have Dino w .00 phosphates and still have skimmer and scrubber running
I did the peroxide dosing twice and it didn’t work for me in the slightest. I have corals so I had to leave my lights on, so I went like 3 or 5%. First time I went 5 days second time I went like 7 I think. All my corals suffered a ton, and no matter what after each time the dinos came back super fast after I started ramping the lights back on. Didn’t seem to affect algae. Dinos only went away slowly after like a month of high nutrients.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok one more try, uploaded it to my YouTube. Thanks for being patient lol

This is more than one type. I can see at least 2 type. Here is some help attached. I think at least one is Amphi but i am no ID person.
visit this tread

My build tread also shows my experience with them.

finally here are 2 guys you can trust for advice @ScottB @taricha

Attachments

• DinoflagellateID12_12_2019.pdf
    730.8 KB · Views: 15

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i did it, it looked like it was gone after the 5 days but it’s coming back and now instead of .04 phosphate I now have .25 phosphate from running without skimmer or algae scrubber for 5 days so I don’t think it’s safe to dose again since I would have to shut down the turf scrubber again...

And this is the overwhelming experience with this approach.

As for type there is definitely LC amphidinium. Can't comment on whether there is a second type because the slide is so "thick". If you could re-do the video with a little less dense sample it would be great!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the peroxide dosing twice and it didn’t work for me in the slightest. I have corals so I had to leave my lights on, so I went like 3 or 5%. First time I went 5 days second time I went like 7 I think. All my corals suffered a ton, and no matter what after each time the dinos came back super fast after I started ramping the lights back on. Didn’t seem to affect algae. Dinos only went away slowly after like a month of high nutrients.
Agree with @attiland and @saltyhog on LC amphids. And those are quite resilient little buggers typically. Solving in a month is quite an accomplishment.

Please share with as much detail as you can recall any/all things you changed to solve for them. Also if you can describe what types of organisms you think replaced/outcompeted the dinos. Who is holding that space now?

OP
OP
Gobi-Wan

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @attiland and @saltyhog on LC amphids. And those are quite resilient little buggers typically. Solving in a month is quite an accomplishment.

Please share with as much detail as you can recall any/all things you changed to solve for them. Also if you can describe what types of organisms you think replaced/outcompeted the dinos. Who is holding that space now?
I was guessing on the time frame because I didn’t do much after that treatment... kind of just gave up. I suppose it has been more than a month. And frankly there could still be dinos, right now the sandbed is mostly covered in what I think of as diatoms... but it’s been so long I forget exactly what the dinos looked like and it could still be dinos I guess. I also have patches of Cyanobacteria on the rocks. It’s like starting a reef tank from scratch all over again... anyway what’s in the sandbed is extremely hard for me to get a good sample of. When I took the original video there were mats of dinos on the rock and that’s what I sucked up.
As for what I changed: I cut my screen size in half on my turf scrubber. I also stopped skimming for a long time, now I am skimming again. Going to measure phosphate over a week and maybe consider putting the skimmer on a timer. When nutrients bottomed out the skimmer wasn’t even collecting skimmate any more. My job has been extremely busy and the reef tank has suffered over the last year. Trying to reign things in again. Also I got a copperband in December, who has taken an extraordinary effort to get acclimated to aquarium life... so huge amounts of over feeding helped in the short term with boosting my nutrients. I also have a jebao 36w uv sterilizer that I decided to hook up permanently. I know the type of synod I had this time won’t be cured by it but it has cleared 2 previous Dino outbreaks in the past so why not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 23

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was guessing on the time frame because I didn’t do much after that treatment... kind of just gave up. I suppose it has been more than a month. And frankly there could still be dinos, right now the sandbed is mostly covered in what I think of as diatoms... but it’s been so long I forget exactly what the dinos looked like and it could still be dinos I guess. I also have patches of Cyanobacteria on the rocks. It’s like starting a reef tank from scratch all over again... anyway what’s in the sandbed is extremely hard for me to get a good sample of. When I took the original video there were mats of dinos on the rock and that’s what I sucked up.
As for what I changed: I cut my screen size in half on my turf scrubber. I also stopped skimming for a long time, now I am skimming again. Going to measure phosphate over a week and maybe consider putting the skimmer on a timer. When nutrients bottomed out the skimmer wasn’t even collecting skimmate any more. My job has been extremely busy and the reef tank has suffered over the last year. Trying to reign things in again. Also I got a copperband in December, who has taken an extraordinary effort to get acclimated to aquarium life... so huge amounts of over feeding helped in the short term with boosting my nutrients. I also have a jebao 36w uv sterilizer that I decided to hook up permanently. I know the type of synod I had this time won’t be cured by it but it has cleared 2 previous Dino outbreaks in the past so why not.
They are never fully eradicated just overwhelmed by competition. They lay in wait for the next biome disturbance, famine or power vacuum to launch another insurgency. I haven't "seen" them in months but could put a scraping on a slide and find a few stragglers.

Building up to a heavy in / heavy out nutrient protocol seems to work for me. Dinos have no chance as long as fish turds are flying.

OP
OP
Gobi-Wan

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are never fully eradicated just overwhelmed by competition. They lay in wait for the next biome disturbance, famine or power vacuum to launch another insurgency. I haven't "seen" them in months but could put a scraping on a slide and find a few stragglers.

Building up to a heavy in / heavy out nutrient protocol seems to work for me. Dinos have no chance as long as fish turds are flying.
Haha. Well that seems to be my method. 2 fat tangs and a fox face shaped like a torpedo produce a pretty good amount of waste. I’ll just have to pay attention to the ATS and skimmer and make sure I don’t bottom out nutrients again

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back