OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be careful with the latter it creates a bacteria bloom which can deplete the oxygen from the system.
When I was a younger stupider reefer i accidentally dosed an entire bottle of oceanmagik in my tank lol. I did get a bloom later but luckily not do bad and no ill effects. Copepods loved it though lol

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters look pretty good (.02 ammonia is a spike from adding new fish yesterday).

Unfortunately my dinos are creeping back quick on the sand bed. No sign of diatoms post Si dosing 5 days later (or any other growth other than dinos for that matter…)

I’m dropping the Dino X tonight…
ABF0C8F1-F60A-425F-B749-01F570050DFF.png

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my first bit of anxiety is past me. Dino X went in last night an hour after lights out, photo period reduced to 6 hours, tank temp slowly ramping up to 82*F (at 78* from 76* currently). Using 17.3ml for 90 gallons every other day as instructed, and skimming.

This morning all fish and inverts were fine, as were all of my corals, and my chaeto surprisingly. Next dose is again tomorrow.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino X is definitely doing it’s job! Sand looks like it has a little brown dusting in some areas but it is barely noticeable to the naked eye.

Under the microscope I can find a few cells here and there, but nowhere even close to where it was before!

I definitely plan on continued dosing for at least the next week with my first water change on Friday or Saturday.

After that though when should I stop dosing? Do I need to get to the point where I cant find a single live cell in the sand under a scope?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the type of Dino, an oversized uv sterilizer is shockingly effective. I never had a massive Dino infestation, hut it would hang its snot over some small rocks, sand, and my toadstool coral. Within 48 hours of adding a mildly oversized uv sterilizer to my system and blowing them off I've yet to see them return at appreciable levels.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the type of Dino, an oversized uv sterilizer is shockingly effective. I never had a massive Dino infestation, hut it would hang its snot over some small rocks, sand, and my toadstool coral. Within 48 hours of adding a mildly oversized uv sterilizer to my system and blowing them off I've yet to see them return at appreciable levels.
unfortunately is amphidinium so nothing goes into the water column and everything stays in the sand...

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then:
02BDD3D9-DA18-4A7C-8E33-6A4D753D2297.png

Now:
A5906782-D432-45BC-938B-CAC86D8A8354.jpeg

Fauna Marin replied to my email and said if I only see very few dino cells under the microscope I can stop dosing the Dino X and move on to a water change and scale back to regular operation.

Ive resumed my normal photoperiod and will do a water change tonight. Going to put some fresh carbon in the media basket, and start scaling my temperature back down (Im sure my BTA will appreciate that).

Lost my hammer coral and a few zoas are not opening, but look like they might be able to recover. Otherwise everything is fine.

Overall, I really didn’t have a bad experience with the Dino X and if you have a young tank with no SPS I’d say go for it if you’ve exhausted all other options.

If anything resurfaces I’ll let you all know, but if not assume I’m happy and learned a lesson in monitoring my NO3 and Phos!

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then:
02BDD3D9-DA18-4A7C-8E33-6A4D753D2297.png

Now:
A5906782-D432-45BC-938B-CAC86D8A8354.jpeg

Fauna Marin replied to my email and said if I only see very few dino cells under the microscope I can stop dosing the Dino X and move on to a water change and scale back to regular operation.

Ive resumed my normal photoperiod and will do a water change tonight. Going to put some fresh carbon in the media basket, and start scaling my temperature back down (Im sure my BTA will appreciate that).

Lost my hammer coral and a few zoas are not opening, but look like they might be able to recover. Otherwise everything is fine.

Overall, I really didn’t have a bad experience with the Dino X and if you have a young tank with no SPS I’d say go for it if you’ve exhausted all other options.

If anything resurfaces I’ll let you all know, but if not assume I’m happy and learned a lesson in monitoring my NO3 and Phos!
Tank is looking great. Let's hope it stays that way

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 2 weeks later still looking clear! Man am I paranoid though. Any time I see anything that looks like a dusting of growth on the sand I bust out the microscope lol #traumatized

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back