Dinoflagelattes? What is this?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they may contribute to the bloom. It's hard to know what bacteria strain (or strains) is causing the bloom, but it's most likely one of the useful nitrifying strains so adding more nitrifying bacteria isn't a good idea. Also, blowing off the rocks and even scraping them clean is a good idea as long as the OP is trying to siphon out the gunk that comes off. Don't worry about affecting the good bacteria on the rocks---you already have way too much! Regarding dosing NO3 and PO4, I wouldn't do that right now. Some bacterial strains may feed off of such supplements.
I may need to find another way of keeping my po4 from bottoming out.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Just a little cyano. It is getting better but I still have to blow off some corals so they aren't bothered by it.
Then you shouldn't worry about dosing NO3 or PO4 if you need to adjust your levels, although it would be better to get rid of the cyano first. I'm dealing with cyano myself right now. I'm trying to mitigate with doing water changes and keeping my nutrient levels on target. I really don't want to treat with chemiclean because the last time I did that I ended up with a huge dino explosion. However, I may not have a choice if the cyano doesn't start getting better soon.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you shouldn't worry about dosing NO3 or PO4 if you need to adjust your levels, although it would be better to get rid of the cyano first. I'm dealing with cyano myself right now. I'm trying to mitigate with doing water changes and keeping my nutrient levels on target. I really don't want to treat with chemiclean because the last time I did that I ended up with a huge dino explosion. However, I may not have a choice if the cyano doesn't start getting better soon.
Yea, I do 10 gallons weekly on my 75. I will stop dosing and see how things go. But like I said, it is slowly getting better. I don't like putting chemicals like that in my tank. I will just wait it out.

Hope you get it under control.

moulton1853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacterial problem to me. I would stop dosing and let the nitrates raise a little. Also running a UV sterilizer every other day till things clear up will help.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Dino to me- I've battled it twice. What worked for me was manual removal + DinoX, and raising nutrients.

Search the forums and the net..you're about to learn a crap ton, lol.

Good luck.
As someone who has spent the last 3 months going to war with dinos I agree with this 100%.

You can click on my build thread to see all the different methods I tried and what finally seemed to work. In short raised nutrients, Dinox, followed up by artificial bacterial bloom.

OP
OP
E

Easdem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I blew off a bunch of the rock, all that snotty nastiness with a baster, scraped with my tools, turned my powerheads to 100% on constant and moved them all over to hit up all the rock at different angles.

My coral must have thought there was a cat 5 hurricane and was a bit grumpy for a few days, but all of them are back to normal. There is still some white film on some of the rock, but it's significantly less.

I also encouraged my fish to be dirty...NO SHOWERS! Bigger feeds. Nitrates and Phosphates are moving up. LFS guy suggested I dose with Rally Pro. I haven't done that yet, waiting to see if it clears up on its own.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that the manual removal helped. Dosing with rally pro might work as you have a bacterial bloom and rally pro has an anti-bacterial agent in it. However, if things are looking much better, I'd hold off. Removing the bacterial slime can result in your nutrient levels rising since some bacteria will ingest those nutrients. Hopefully things continue to clear up. Just make sure you're not dosing anything that will feed a bloom like Nopox or any carbon dosing (vinegar, vodka, biopellets, etc.)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back