Dinoflagellate Problem? Could Ulva lactuca be the Answer?

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

Did we ever conclude Ulva helps beat Dinos? I am dealing with Amph. Dinos currently.

So far dirty method is helping but very slowly.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

Did we ever conclude Ulva helps beat Dinos? I am dealing with Amph. Dinos currently.

So far dirty method is helping but very slowly.
For Amphidiniums i would dose waterglass/sodium silicate induce a diatom bloom too outcompete them

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this thread might be worth a bump. I know it's a couple years old and 100+ posts, but re-reading it, there were very few who tried it with microscope confirmed dinos and successfully growing fresh ulva - which was the most effective according to research.
@Cory what were your thoughts / observations on this? I know your dinos came back more recently than your posts here.

@Dan_P was seeing a weird clearing around his ulva growth that reminded me of this thread.

(also maybe this thread should hang out in the nuisance algae forum?)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potential demonstration of Ulva allelopathy. Plastic mesh on left covered with growth, right side clean as a whistle. A Garcilaria species on the left, Ulva on the right. I have not characterized the growth on the mesh. Will update when I do. By the way, possible allelopathy up close to the Garcilaria clump.

3086D545-1028-4D89-B7F6-BD212BC410FA.jpeg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this thread might be worth a bump. I know it's a couple years old and 100+ posts, but re-reading it, there were very few who tried it with microscope confirmed dinos and successfully growing fresh ulva - which was the most effective according to research.
@Cory what were your thoughts / observations on this? I know your dinos came back more recently than your posts here.

@Dan_P was seeing a weird clearing around his ulva growth that reminded me of this thread.

(also maybe this thread should hang out in the nuisance algae forum?)
Well they came back and i didn't have any ulva on the system. Now that i have a uv sterilizer on the system the dinos are gone. However when i had ulva and increased nutrients i noticed dinos dissapeared quickly. But when i tried again without ulva and raising nutrients, they didnt decrease at all. I find the tipping point for dinos going away is when hair algae comes back.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potential demonstration of Ulva allelopathy. Plastic mesh on left covered with growth, right side clean as a whistle. A Garcilaria species on the left, Ulva on the right. I have not characterized the growth on the mesh. Will update when I do. By the way, possible allelopathy up close to the Garcilaria clump.

3086D545-1028-4D89-B7F6-BD212BC410FA.jpeg
The fuzzy stuff on the screen is what I’ll call a slime ecosystem. This is diverse ecology. There are samples one might be tempted to classify as a diatom mat, in another a bacterial mat and yet another a waste mat, all sorts of discarded exoskeletons and nematodes. Whatever the basis is for this mess, it does not seem to take hold near the compartment Ulva. It is a very interesting observation but not sure how to exploit it. The effect might be too short range to be of use.

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring up an old post. Oddly enough- I added sea lettuce to my refugium in an attempt to grow it for my parrotfish. Came across this thread when researching how to make it grow quickly.

My sand was clean as a whistle. I had 2 fish die and it seems Dino’s flourished practically overnight. Sea lettuce was added on Sunday. 4 days in and the central area of my tank is looking a bit better but I still have quite a bit of Dino’s on the sand and rocks. Now I’m wondering if it’s related to the sea lettuce.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back