Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

keyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the campaign page, you posted a link to ostreopsis video. Did you test the compound on ostreopsis and does it work?

Hi yes, ostreopsis was the first dino it was tested against and it worked. The tank which was infected with ostreopsis has been dino free for 6 months with not a single cell to be found.

Spiderguardnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if this helps or what but when I was battling Dino's in my old system I shut down my tank and qt my coral for like 3-4 months in a tub after no signs of any Dino's i transferred them
To my new tank everything was going good no signs at all.. that's until eveything went south again I noticed when I started feeing pe my sis the next morning I had a explosion of Dino's I'm talking about the stringy bubbly stuff

Before this I was feeding rods food and the system was good

So I will never ever used pe mysis ever again

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

StrangeDejavu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone can help me ID my dinos? Here is a link to my Dropbox with videos at various magnification levels.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2sikyw914qvezg7/AABPMQxjBRfk80cNAW0Sqfn5a?dl=0

Here is a decent pic. I have a ton more if any are needed

http://i.imgur.com/gXDEaZ6.jpg

Doesn't look like Amphidinium to me, this species usually has a noticeable hook-shaped feature. Looks more like Peridinium. Look at the cell at the edge of view, 4 o'clock in the picture and compare it to this photo.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is still going?
I have been out for most of Nov with ongoing issues figured I would pop in and see whats going on!

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doesn't look like Amphidinium to me, this species usually has a noticeable hook-shaped feature. Looks more like Peridinium. Look at the cell at the edge of view, 4 o'clock in the picture and compare it to this photo.

Yes it very much looks like that. Especially when I look at it through the scope directly. It's hard to get a clear picture with my iPhone stuck to the eyepiece. Thanks for finding that.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yes it very much looks like that. Especially when I look at it through the scope directly. It's hard to get a clear picture with my iPhone stuck to the eyepiece. Thanks for finding that.

I was going off of this: https://www.researchgate.net/public...of_Wimereux_North-East_English_Channel_France. Some of the amphidinium variants in the article/pictures reminded me of the posted shot, but yeah, a more details image would have helped.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm on my 4th dose of vibrant and unfortunately my dinos are just as thick as when I started, and come back after I clean them. Hopefully I'll see some reduction soon.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas Todd! I have been gone as well and thought I'd check in. Wow!

Dino's can be beat everyone! Persevere! Bleach took mine out and then I had a cyano from H#ll!

No sooner than getting the tank back into top shape, I had a very unexpected medical situation arise! December 7th I had brain surgery for a tumor on a major vein in the cerebellum. I'm recovering now and we're working on getting my heart squared away:0) I cannot wait until I get back to reefkeeping and selling my corals! The 180g is going an sustaining so I'm happy with that:0)

I'll try to stop in more often and help whenever I can. Merry Christmas to all!!!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas!
I wish a speedy recovery and love to see your strength.
Yes Dino's can be beat and I WILL prove that bleach dosing IS an option.
Stay strong my friend!

RhinoNM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on bleach dosing... if you need to remove fish to dose the tank, how can you mitigate the fish from bring back the dinos? Also wouldn't the bleach wipe out all the bacteria too, causing a cycle?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on bleach dosing... if you need to remove fish to dose the tank, how can you mitigate the fish from bring back the dinos? Also wouldn't the bleach wipe out all the bacteria too, causing a cycle?
Yes you are correct. Although I did not go in depth with bleach dosing (as school was starting for me) I did manage to dose my DT with bleach without wiping out all the bacteria. The key was to do small incremental spaced dosings. I have not continued the work with bleach but what I can say is that my tank is dino free.
I may be currently seeing the aftermath of it however.
Coralline is gone, not a spore around.
Removing fish for QT poses an environment that single dino cells will not survive. So proper QT should eliminate any cells.
As time allows I do plan to continue this work but full time college eats into my lab time.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did not kill off my bacteria during bleach dosing...as twillard states. My tank is dino free also. I removed my fish, BTA;s and other sensitive colas-fish. I dosed an all natural medication to kill any dino's on the fish-corals. I cannot say that it worked or didn't....

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back