Dinoflagellates

Damian Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice on removing Dino what should I do. I have been treating it as cyano due to LFS miss identifying. Do I go at it manually or go to chemicals. It is a mixed reef with corals and fish.

OP
OP
Damian Harris

Damian Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo

8433CC17-E189-4A25-B8CE-4C84933D8C55.jpeg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you decide a method need to find what is causing the dinos and species id will help as some species uv can help a lot others not so much.

What is you no3 and po4?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Dino-x and it really did seem to work well for me. Mine was a plague that looked much worse than yours and it’s now about 95% gone. I only bought enough to do 5 treatments instead of the ten that the bottle recommends. I’m hoping the last little bit clears up on its own so I don’t have to order more. Anyway, might be worth a shot since it’s only around $25. I’d didn’t negatively effect any parameters as far as I can tell.

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV filter killed mine in 3 days. Looked just like yours. Mine were Ostreopsis. You'll want to start running carbon right now as they can be poisonous.

The little gold looking pills are dinos.

Matyas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your tank parameters?
Nitrate, phosphate?

Candace Summers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV filter killed mine in 3 days. Looked just like yours. Mine were Ostreopsis. You'll want to start running carbon right now as they can be poisonous.

This is a lot like what I saw under my microscope when trying to identify what I was dealing with. Pretty sure it’s Dino’s as well.

How did you film your view? I tried to take a pic with my DSLR but it came out pretty crappy.
741f5bd0d387797f56cc72dca30556da.jpg

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever conquer your Dino’s? I’ve been battling them for months... after I treated this god awful, black cyano with Chemiclean they took over. Literally made my entire house stink too. Did daily water changes, swapped out gfo, carbon, purigen. Ran 2 9w UV sterilizers (not sure if they’re stage one sterilizers, which I believe are the only ones worth using) 24hrs on 24hrs off. At first they were just unsightly but then my nems started acting weird and not inflating. Starved the tank for 5 days, 3 of which there was no light, and that bout kicked it. Nems returned to their normal, inflated, happy selves, fish were never really effected...Went a week with a strand or two free floating in the display, but as of this morning it’s full bore again!

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This makes me want to go buy a microscope! I know each Dino strain is unique, but what UV sterilizer do you run?

OP
OP
Damian Harris

Damian Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever conquer your Dino’s? I’ve been battling them for months... after I treated this god awful, black cyano with Chemiclean they took over. Literally made my entire house stink too. Did daily water changes, swapped out gfo, carbon, purigen. Ran 2 9w UV sterilizers (not sure if they’re stage one sterilizers, which I believe are the only ones worth using) 24hrs on 24hrs off. At first they were just unsightly but then my nems started acting weird and not inflating. Starved the tank for 5 days, 3 of which there was no light, and that bout kicked it. Nems returned to their normal, inflated, happy selves, fish were never really effected...Went a week with a strand or two free floating in the display, but as of this morning it’s full bore again!
Yes I did a 3 day black out and did a chemiclean to rid of them! I am sorry to hear your problem wasn't so simple

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did a 3 day black out and did a chemiclean to rid of them! I am sorry to hear your problem wasn't so simple
I’m glad to hear that! I’m giving a blackout another shot, and I have some Chemiclean leftover. Hopefully I get the same results as you. Good luck with your tank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back