Dinos and Fish Health

Did battling dinos affect the health of your fish and/or inverts?

• Lost fish

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • List inverts

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Lost both

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Didn’t seem to affect fish or invert health

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Fish seemed sick

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested in exploring the affect of dinos on fish health in the event that the tank is generally fine but nutrients bottomed out causing dinos. The general consensus seems to be that dinos don’t negatively affect fish although snails can be at risk. However I’ve read multiple experiences where fish are being lost during Dino battles. Just curious about the overall experience.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty I will bite on this one ahah

So dinos definitely can be toxic to inverts depending on the species' toxicity but I havn't heard of it specifically being toxic to fish. The toxicity I am referring to the toxin released when they die. I know dinos that are mucous heavy can adhere to fish (or so I have read, not seen personally). I have only done a once over on research for dinos.

Here is my theory/experience. Dino toxins kill snails/inverts while releases ammonia if not removed. A reduced photo period during blackouts reduces the tanks dissolved oxygen as nothing is photosynthesizing. The combination can kill or harm fish if there is not proper air exchange. Interested to hear some scientific research or biology lessons I am missing.

Useful tool https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellate-identification-guide.671466/

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t done a black out, I’ve just finished battling dinos by increasing phos/nitrate/dr Tim’s/feeding phyto. I haven’t registered any ammonia or nitrites. I’ve lost a fire fish, a rabbit fish, and a Trigger. (i can’t really tell if I’ve lost Snails or not it’s a 250 gallon tank). My royal gramma is pale and blotchy, another fire fish looks like it’s going downhill quickly, and my emp Angel is in hiding. My tank is been running for five years, I’ve had all of these fish for years, the ph alk ca mag etc. are all stable and within normal limits. The corals are looking fine. But the fish seem to have been affected. I don’t know if it’s dinos or not obviously, this is not a scientific study, I’m just interested because there doesn’t seem to be another factor affecting my fish health right now and the more I look the more I am seeing other people have similar situations. Since I have not stopped any of the pumps or the protein skimmer etc. I don’t think an oxygen exchange is part of my issue.

Back