OP
OP
Nick711

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you were never told that there's a certain size gallonage tank where you do not need to take months to gain control and losing some corals was not required. what you are running is what large tankers must do, because the systems are so large there's no other practical way

a 40 allows you handling options that are unique to nano reefs, and in that is your hidden win.

there is a way to clean your tank one time to make it stop misbehaving.

in about 4 hours after you start the job you'll be done.

I saw your thread a while back but let the others get a run at it first. the updates aren't acceptable because it seems a compromise is required, I'd like a shot. your updates will be much different after a proxy run from over here.

I sincerely appreciate your offer to address my situation. I’m not yet committed to a full rip clean (outlined a few reasons below), but I am certainly not ruling it out.

You are right, I do not fully appreciate that with the size of my tank, such a task would be significantly more manageable. Let me review some of your past threads in more detail before making a final determination, and try a couple more measures to stabilize before committing to such.

My main concerns about doing a rip clean is livestock related:
  1. My Yellow Coris Wrasse, who I may add is very skittish, has several different spots throughout the tank where he hides in the sand when scared and/or sleeps. By removing my entire sand bed, I fear his stress-level will be astronomical under such a change.
  2. My copious amount of spaghetti worms, chitons, micro brittle stars, snails, etc. that inhabit my sand. I’d hate to give up on all these creatures.
I’ve also added a couple current tank pictures just to show the situation isn’t too dire (not best quality as glass hasn’t been scraped in a month+, but copepods and snails doing a rather good job maintaining).

The last time I touched the sand (siphon) was on February 14, 9 days ago. Lights have mostly been reduced during this period (blues only), but I now have them back on normal schedule.

Attachments

• IMG_9601.jpeg
    IMG_9601.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9602.jpeg
    IMG_9602.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9604.jpeg
    IMG_9604.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9603.jpeg
    IMG_9603.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 16

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks nice for sure. its at least a backup before takeover happens if it ramps up. the fish aren't an issue per the sand rinse thread where they move tanks with those fish, rinsing the sand in the interim before setup into the new tank. when it's ready to run, there isn't a reason we couldn't rip clean it but as of now it looks nice!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back