Dinos Cleared But Now High Nitrates

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dinos are pretty much gone after a couple months battle, and now here comes the GHA. This is fine by me, I just remove any big clumps and let my CUC finish the rest. I'm thinking one more urchin should balance out my system nicely.

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually my next plan, if a uv doesn't work on a particular species, is to start bacteria cocktails in an attempt to add competition. I like pns proobio and Dr Tim's eco balance/waste away. A hearty mix of (non tigrio) copepods possibly live phyto may add some predation. The next option that I would consider would be adding real ocean live sand to try and get other zooplankton. Again, dinos are not well understood as a phenomena in thks hobby as you probably have seen, and at most someone can do is recommended things to try that may or may not have been related to their dinos going away.

Ps don't forget to double check your test kits is possible. I don't think they are off but it's always something to consider.
i second this. I tried a billion things but when i switched the UV out for a bunch of pods, a fuge and started dosing a lot of phyto daily, thats when my dinos slowly disappeared. cant know for sure thats the solution like he said...but definitely worth a try. i made a post about my battle with dinos if u wanna check it out.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have torches? I am by no way an expert, but couldn’t keep torches and some thought it might be high nitrates and phosphates.

I believe that my acans, Duncan’s, candy canes, and open brains do well in the higher nitrates. Along with my softies.

I am not sure, but I believe that the sps like acros and some of the montis aren’t so forgiving.
My nitrates are at 100 and my po4 at .54 and my torches love it! Go figure lol.. my Sps are super colorful and happy as well… I got tired of fighting my tank.. some day they’ll drop lol..

Back