Dinos or Diatoms?

Dawson_hatton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my newest tank I appear to have and outbreak of nuisance algae, and I’m really hoping it’s not dinos but it looks to be that way. could anyone help with general identification? my Ammonia is 0, nitrates 20 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, hardness 300 ppm, alk. 210 ppm, PH 8.4. corals are open, fish are happy and eating.

image.jpg image.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically it's diatoms in a new tank build, but that does look dangerously like dinos. A microscope should be normal equipment with reefers! If you can get a sample with some microscooe pics, then we will know for sure!

OP
OP
D

Dawson_hatton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a microscope, but they are definitely seeming to be dinos because they are long and stringy, and they broke out after I moved all my live rock around. they are growing at such a fast rate I literally will leave the tank for an hour and come back and there’s already more. i’m going to black out for 3 days and dose peroxide. I’m worried about my fish. they are all eating and acting relatively normal but my damsel is acting a little sluggish and my clownfish on the other hand are acting super skittish and running into things anytime I make a sudden move which isn’t like them. hoping the toxins don’t get to them or my inverts. really sucks because my tank was running great and I was just getting new growth from my zoas which are now partially covered in brown slime :(

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back