Dinos. Should I upgrade UV sterilizer?

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm battling a case of dinoflagellates in my 75g. I don't have a microscope so not sure which kind. I'm not panicking but it is a pain in the tail. I'm upping my nutrients, etc. and am currently running a 15 Watt Aqua UV Advantage Inline UV on a dedicated loop. I'm contemplating upgrading to a Lifegard 25W but wondering if its worth it. Opinions?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You first need to ID what type of dinos via microscope. Some go into the water column at night others go into the sand which a UV does nothing for. UV is simply a bandaid fix and does not correct the underlying problems thar caused dinos in your tank.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You first need to ID what type of dinos via microscope. Some go into the water column at night others go into the sand which a UV does nothing for. UV is simply a bandaid fix and does not correct the underlying problems thar caused dinos in your tank.
Exactly need to microscope first. Why guess and buy equipment if it’s not needed?

But uv does help with killing ostreopsis or at least limiting them giving u time I guess. Considering they are the most toxic species.

OP
OP
Serpentman2024

Serpentman2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They all but disappear at night. Infestation isn't too bad....yet. Low nutrients (new tank) is definitely the cause. Nitrates are low (1.5ppm) and PO4 is 0. At this point, I have a decent fish load so I'm feeding heavy and stopping water changes for the time being.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all but disappear at night. Infestation isn't too bad....yet. Low nutrients (new tank) is definitely the cause. Nitrates are low (1.5ppm) and PO4 is 0. At this point, I have a decent fish load so I'm feeding heavy and stopping water changes for the time being.
How old is the tank? Picture?

OP
OP
Serpentman2024

Serpentman2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old is the tank? Picture?
Tank is only a couple months old.

dino - 2024-05-20-3.jpg
dino - 2024-05-20-2.jpg
dino - 2024-05-20.jpg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dinos to me without a doubt.

15 watt is very low for a 75g tank, to answer your question which you didn’t actually answer yourself, yes it would be worth it most definitely, whether you have the space for it is a different question.

Deltec UV I believe are a little smaller than some and the bulb is more affective than most others if the claims are correct, so a 10w is the equivalent to a 20w, so you may be able to fit in a decent size uv…go for the biggest you can fit.

OP
OP
Serpentman2024

Serpentman2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like dinos to me without a doubt.

15 watt is very low for a 75g tank, to answer your question which you didn’t actually answer yourself, yes it would be worth it most definitely, whether you have the space for it is a different question.

Deltec UV I believe are a little smaller than some and the bulb is more affective than most others if the claims are correct, so a 10w is the equivalent to a 20w, so you may be able to fit in a decent size uv…go for the biggest you can fit.
Space is definitely cramped and going outside the stand is not an option. I'll look into Deltec. Finding a dealer in the US is difficult. Granted most manufacturers overrate their equipment, here is was Aqua UV posts on the 15W model I have.
AquaUV.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is only a couple months old.

dino - 2024-05-20-3.jpg
dino - 2024-05-20-2.jpg
dino - 2024-05-20.jpg
With the way it is coating your rocks and the age of the tank, indicates a diatom bloom.

Have you recently turned lights on? Have you already experienced a complete diatom event in your tank? Do you use RODI?

OP
OP
Serpentman2024

Serpentman2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the way it is coating your rocks and the age of the tank, indicates a diatom bloom.

Have you recently turned lights on? Have you already experienced a complete diatom event in your tank? Do you use RODI?
I'm fairly certain they are not diatoms but certain prefer that they are. Had a breakout of them already and when you look at the tank as a whole, they look very different. My nutrients are extremely low and my RO/DI is 0 TDS.

Although I plan to increase nutrients and run UV, that is about the extent that I plan to intervene. I am running a light cycle and plan to cut back.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly certain they are not diatoms. Had a breakout of them already and when you look at the tank as a whole, they look very different. My nutrients are extremely low and my RO/DI is 0 TDS.
It's rare for a 2 month old tank to get dinos. It can happen but not very typical. Get a cheap Amazon microscope and positive ID.

You don't know if there is Silicates in your RODI without ICP test. 0 TDS doesn't mean 0 Silicates. I had 0 TDS but test still showed silicates in my RODI.

OP
OP
Serpentman2024

Serpentman2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's rare for a 2 month old tank to get dinos. It can happen but not very typical. Get a cheap Amazon microscope and positive ID.

You don't know if there is Silicates in your RODI with ICP test. 0 TDS doesn't mean 0 Silicates.
I thought so as well.

Confession. Although I've been doing reefs for a long time but it's also been a looooong time since I've done reefs. I feared silicate leeching from the Marco rocks so ran GFO when the diatoms were in full force. Probably the worst thing I could have done.

EDIT: whatever they are, they aren't horrible as of now (knock on wood). Will work on a microscope. Gladly accept recommendations.

Last edited:

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a UV that might not solve this issue yet might solve other issues still a good idea to have. As for sizing. Perhaps two on separate flows that collectively obtain the required results?

I too don’t own a microscope yet try to avoid issues. Pound of prevention kind of thinking. BTW, adding peroxide while using the UV might compensate for undersized UV in respect to that where UV could help.

OP
OP
Serpentman2024

Serpentman2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having a UV that might not solve this issue yet might solve other issues still a good idea to have. As for sizing. Perhaps two on separate flows that collectively obtain the required results?

I too don’t own a microscope yet try to avoid issues. Pound of prevention kind of thinking. BTW, adding peroxide while using the UV might compensate for undersized UV in respect to that where UV could help.

I just ordered a cheap microscope on Amazon for same day so will take a look. Nice to have on hand. Referencing the UV, I have it on its own dedicated feed throttled back to around ~250gph. Although its lower powered, it should be effectively killing everything that goes through it.

Honestly, I'm a victim of my own ego here. As 'veteran' that has not actively had a tank in over a decade, I'm making a lot of newbie mistakes because "I know what I'm doing" lol.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a cheap microscope on Amazon for same day so will take a look. Nice to have on hand. Referencing the UV, I have it on its own dedicated feed throttled back to around ~250gph. Although its lower powered, it should be effectively killing everything that goes through it.
you need a balance, speed and strength of the UV as some dinos, algae etc reproduce so fast a UV can be next to useless if the water goes through it so slow that the dinos are reproducing faster than the UV works.

To be fair to deltec their claim is based on seemingly solid ground, their bulbs are made of quartz which lets most of the UV pass through, whereas glass bulbs can stop a high majority of UV passing.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of people use UV for various reasons. I see it more as one of those last resort options. Yes it nukes some bad stuff floating in the water but I also feel it nukes good stuff in the water as well that may be beneficial to the tank. I know majority of beneficial bacteria is in rock and sand and some areas in the sump but I prefer to try and keep things as simple and natural as possible.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly, I'm a victim of my own ego here. As 'veteran' that has not actively had a tank in over a decade, I'm making a lot of newbie mistakes because "I know what I'm doing" lol.
Consider profiteering that the UV as those kill rates based on clean water and not possibility pathogens blocking the UV by detritus.

Back